The Importance Of Appreciating The Small Things In Life

Over the last few weeks it has been a freaking journey. There have been so many highs and lows that I genuinely don’t know if I’m coming or going. I’ve gotta be honest. But I’ve learned a lot over the last few weeks and it’s reminded me of the importance of the small things in life. It is those things that we might take for granted, it’s those things that we like but we don’t necessarily appreciate when life decides it’s time to throw about 30 different things in our path.

On Saturday morning, I woke up ridiculously early, I mean even earlier than I would do normally for work. But I got up, I did bit of blog work and I felt amazing for it. Probably wont be saying that when it comes to about 9pm and I’m wanting to take a nap and go to bed but still. I got to watch the sunrise with a cup of tea, listen to birds sing & give some extra special attention to BB-8.

It’s the little things like that that genuinely make me smile, but that is just an example. Sometimes we all need to just take a moment. The small things in life are literally want make the bigger things happen.

There are so many horrible things going on in the world, it’s important to appreciate the small things like for example my phone calls with my dad, I don’t necessarily get to see him as much as I would like but every night I ring him on my way home, we have a moan about the fact that the M25 is Britain’s biggest carpark and that people can’t get into lane, and I complain that I’m always hungry. Yep never a truer word spoken than Amie is hungry.

The reason that I’ve done this post is it genuinely got me thinking about how difficult life can be sometimes, and we are so quick to get super down about things rather appreciate all of the other beautiful things that are currently happening.

There are so many small things you can appreciate this week like:

• Cuddles with someone you care about.
  • Having a good old rant – never fails to make me feel better
  • Supporting someone when they need it the most
  • A cup of tea that is absolutely the perfect strength
  • Getting up a big later
  • Spending time with the people you love
  • Curling up fresh sheets
  • Going for a walk
  • Surprising someone you love
  • Waking up before the alarm and not having to get out of bed
  • Having a chance to read a book
  • Being able to do a face mask in peace
  • Taking a nap just because
  • Dancing and singing when your favourite song starts playing
  • Free WiFi

I’d love to know what little things can cheer you up and what you’re going to try and appreciate this week! Let me know in the comments!

TwitterInstagramTumblrPinterestBlog Lovin’Facebook

• Jenny in Neverland says:

I’ve been really appreciating the little things lately too. It’s so important!

• heather says:

It’s so important to enjoy the little things but it isn’t that easy sometimes x

• Boxnip says:

I think it’s mostly the little things that I do really appreciate. Since being confined to my house & bed, all the things I used to take for granted, I now truly appreciate. Simple things like taking a hot shower, my kids coming in to chat with me, just holding a conversation with someone. Most days I am isolated so it’s just me, myself and I – and my laptop. 🙂 x

Sarah 🌺 || Boxnip || Latest Post

• Sarah Winton says:

I appreciate cuddles with my cat:) Always makes me feel better.

• Lisa says:

It’s so important to appreciate the little things, isn’t it? I love your point about being able to do a face mask in peace, with a 9 year old daughter that’s something I can only dream about, haha x

Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

• Anne says:

Aww this post was so lovely, like drinking a whole mug of positivi-tea <3 I love surprise calls from my family and waking up earlier or having a wee night in and finally understanding something I'm trying to study, I think those are my little happy things 🙂

Anne // http://www.basifpa-and-did.co.uk

• A lovely list that causes me to reflect

• Lindsey says:

What a perfectly uplifting post to read on a Monday evening! The perfect cup of tea is possibly the most powerful thing in the world, especially when coupling it with a chance to sit and read with no interruptions and not feeling guilty about it!

• Jessie says:

I love this. My favourite little thing in life is going for a walk as the sun is about to set – so peaceful 🙂 xx

Jessie | jessie-ann.co.uk

• Hels says:

This is such a lovely post – taking time to appreciate the small things can make all the difference. When I feel stressed or frustrated, I take the time to read, or go for a walk, I’ll give Dougie a cuddle if he’ll let me – it’s so important to enjoy and appreciate the little things.
    Hels xx

• Eena says:

I love this! I always try my best to appreciate the little things in my life because they matter too! Thanks for sharing that lovely list.

cabin twenty-four

• Claire says:

It’s the small things that make the biggest difference 🥰 love this post x

• Raven Black says:

Early mornings with my kids and a good cup of coffee. Lately I’ve begun waking up an hour earlier in the morning, so i have more time with the kids before the day starts, and it’s wonderful to have that extra time to read a book or play a game.

• Love this post. Lately I realised I wasn’t doing as much of the things I loved and was putting too much pressure on myself so the last week or so I’ve been taking time to do a bit of reading, walking down by the river near my house and started gardening and planting seeds with the children which we all love 💙

• Jacey says:

This is super important, thanks for the reminder. I just got back from vacation and it can be hard to get back into the routine, but this is helpful to remind myself to be thankful for the small things 😊😊 thank you!!

• Nadia says:

I LOVED this post so much, my lovely.
    You’re so so right!! Appreciating those small things we often take for granted is HUGE. Those small things are the things that make us feel alive. You’ve listed so many of my favourites – we are the same person 😀
    Lately I have been appreciating being able to walk downstairs (one step at a time, literally), being able to prep for my classes faster and more efficiently than ever and also spending time with hubby. Always the best.
    One of the big things for me I’ve appreciated so so much is having you in my life. Sounds soppy buy it’s true 🙂
    xox Nadia

• Tiffany says:

This is such a good reminder for me, because it can be so easy to complain about what is going wrong but it should be the only think that is talked about. It is so important to appreciate the little things.

• shelley says:

sometimes just watching a tv show & playing on my iPad is enough to unwind from the stresses of the day

• Sarah says:

A cup of tea makes everything better! X

• Mollie says:

My favourite “little thing” that cheers me up is literally just chatting to my Mum on the phone!

Mollie | https://mollieclarke.co.uk

• There’s so much to be happy about isn’t there!
    Rosie

• Lady Writes says:

It’s so important to take the time to appreciate everything and take time to notice the things we sometimes miss x

• Kim says:

It’s so important to appreciate the little things, but not always easy. I love the list of things you’ve mentioned here and had a little chuckle about ‘free Wi-Fi’, lol. It definitely makes my day a little brighter when I’m in a place that offers it.

• Carrie says:

Thank you for writing this. I have always tried to focus on and enjoy the little things in life but it has been difficult for me just lately but thank you for reminding me.

Some of my favourites are enjoying my time alone, having a decent cup of coffee and playing with my little nieces.

It’s so important to appreciate these things because it is the little things that make a big difference in our lives x

• it is true when they say the best things in life are free.. sometimes i think big expensive things will fill that gap when actually my heart swells as chats over cups of tea, snuggles in bed with my man and walking holding hands!
    Loved this post!
    Rosie

• Kate says:

This is so cute. I definitely always appreciate a good cup of tea especially if made by someone else

Katie xx
    Blog: http://www.katienor.com
    Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=491rFmq-ODg

• Kate Collins says:

I love this post.

Sometimes when we’re in a bit of a rut it’s difficult to remember the little things that can cheer us up.It’s so important to appreciate the little things in every day.

Kate | cakeandcoast.com

• Such an important topic! We live for life’s little luxuries – and we know just how important the small wins are everyday. Thanks for sharing.