How To Plan and Schedule Blog Posts

How To Plan and Schedule Blog Posts

When it comes to planning and scheduling it is important to look at what times work best for your readers and also your blog. Every blog is different and it is important to understand your demographics, especially because if you understand your demographics, you will be able to plan better and schedule your posts so your stats go through the roof!

So why is planning and organising so important? Well it is important because you’re it is your own blog calendars of work that you have created! I know sometimes people might think that your blog post content should be spontaneous and honestly some of my blog posts are, but sometimes you need to have a backlog of posts that you can turn to when you don’t feel like posting.

So what are my top tips?

1. Make the most of your inspiration

I know that sounds so simple, however, you know when you get those moments where you just want to write and write, well this is the moments when I get so much of my blog planning done.

What I have learned with blogging is you will have periods where you don’t have a lot of inspiration and blog posts might come few and far between, so it is important to make sure that you have a variety of blog posts ideas in the bank when you need them the most.

When you’re in the zone and the inspiration strikes you need to make sure that you have planned as much as you physically can. The top things I would suggest you planning are:

• Titles
  • Ideas
  • Photography
  • Tone
  • Links needed

That way you’re ready when you need it the most.

2. Carry notepads or places to take notes everywhere

I cannot describe how important this step is to me, if you don’t have room for a notepad in your bag, use the memo app on your phone. When you’re out and about, sometimes you can be inspired by the smallest of things, I know I’ve been inspired by drinking a good cuppa, or just walking down the street. Either way we all get inspired at different times so it is important to be prepared for any moment.

If you’re anything like me, you’re probably going to forget it if you say to yourself, don’t forget “insert idea here” and by the time that you get home you will have forgotten it.

When it comes to photographing, if you see something that would match one of your blog post ideas and it would work well for a blog photo, snap right away! I mean honestly you can’t beat some good lighting and a beautiful photo opportunity!

3. Know Your Readers

This has to be one of the most important points, because when you’re planning a post, you need to know your busiest times, and when your readers will have the most time to read your posts. Also by knowing your readers you will know what your readers also enjoy reading, for example what are your most popular posts, what do your readers love the most! However it is important that your blog consists of things that you enjoy writing about, don’t force yourself to write about something you don’t want to.

4. Don’t Plan Too Much

I know that sounds silly, however if you plan too much you end up overthinking everything, you end up being completely overwhelmed by it all, and you end up spending a lot of time procrastinating. I know for sure when I am in the middle of a serious planning session, I end up doing other things like singing along to music or reading blogs. So try to take regular breaks, don’t say you’re going to plan for too long because there is such a thing as too much!

5. Have A Streamlined Planning System

When you are trying to plan, you want to make sure that it is easy to keep up with and to understand, because the last thing you want is to go back to it, have a look at your ideas and have no idea what you were on about. So make sure that your planning system is streamlined, it’s easy and simple to follow, that way you avoid all the difficulty of trying to figure out what the hell you’ve written is trying to tell you!

6. Don’t Forget To Promote Your Posts

It can be so difficult to remind yourself to promote yourself when you have such a busy life, however, there are so many different ways to beat those worries and to make sure what you remember to promote your gorgeous posts! If you forget to promote your blog posts then very few people will be able to appreciate your wonderful writing! When it comes to scheduling you can use tweets to help you out, I personally use Tweet Deck because I find that is the easiest to use and it has helped me so much.

Most importantly don’t forget to enjoy blogging, it should come across in your writing and the way you promote your posts. Be proud of everything you’re creating and achieving!

1. 11/02/2016 / 6:44 am

On a note of your #2, I’ve written a whole post while standing at a bus stop at 8pm in the freezing snow 😂😂
    Hayle

11/02/2016 / 11:14 am

Oh my gosh you’re a trooper darling! I’d love to be able to do that, but I have to be around all my notes and have a cuppa in my hand!💜

2. 11/02/2016 / 7:27 am

All my posts are scheduled in because I just don’t have the time in the evenings. Definitely printing out a calendar and writing down each post helps me! X

11/02/2016 / 11:19 am

I seriously need to kick my own backside to queue my tweets, however I’ve been working really hard to get some content queued, I’m getting there!💜

3. 11/02/2016 / 6:28 pm

I probably should be working on more planning. I am busy, and it’s hard to balance the different aspects of life. I agree that there are times I just want to write and write and write. I haven’t tried Twitter yet.

11/02/2016 / 6:51 pm

I would totally recommend queuing for twitter! It is definitely worth it and you definitely notice the difference when it comes to the queuing. I totally agree though, with a busy life it can be so difficult to balance it! You will get there darling!💜

4. 11/02/2016 / 8:33 pm

I can hear a comment on TV, radio, or find something in the newspaper or the internet that sparks a blog for me. I keep something to write with all the time even if its one of those small shopping list things you can fit in a purse or pocket. It is important to write things down.

11/02/2016 / 8:37 pm

I totally agree, I have to write everything down when I know what I want to write about, before I forget it forever! It is a must with me, especially because I have the worst memory known to man!💜

5. 11/02/2016 / 9:06 pm

These are really helpful tips, i will be saving this post!

11/02/2016 / 9:11 pm

I’m so glad you found these helpful! Let me know if I can do anything else to help!💜

6. 12/02/2016 / 12:17 pm

Thanks for this, as a new blogger I’m trying to absorb as much advice as I can from other bloggers.

12/02/2016 / 3:52 pm

If there is anything I can do to help you lovely, please do message me, I’m here to support you 🙂 💜

12/02/2016 / 3:52 pm

7. 12/02/2016 / 8:04 pm

This is a really helpful post! Don’t you always find the best ideas come to you when you’re in such a awkward place? Or commuting or something like that?! I’m guilty for not carrying around a notebook, definitely going to need to start doing that!

Hana | http://www.hanarosella.blogspot.co.uk

13/02/2016 / 11:32 am

Definitely, or when you’re in the middle of something and you don’t have the chance to change anything! Glad this helped darling! 💜

8. 12/02/2016 / 9:28 pm

Great tips here Amie! It’s so important to streamline your planning system – makes it so much easier to get a post written and scheduled in!

Zoe x | http://www.zoelinda.co.uk

13/02/2016 / 11:35 am

Thank you so much sweetheart, it means a lot! I totally agree, if you’re all over the place with your planning you can’t get much done and it can be incredibly confusing!💜

9. 14/02/2016 / 8:21 am

Good post, I find it really important!

DadieB. ~
    dadiebradshaw.altervista.org

14/02/2016 / 10:28 am

Thank you so much lovely!

10. 14/02/2016 / 10:13 am

I agree with all the above, you never know when the inspiration hits you. As I post 3 times a week I try and plan 2 posts for up to 4 weeks in advance leaving one, as you need know what new pr deal you’ll sign and will need to work under a deadline 🙂 I keep my notebook with me whenever I go 🙂 Love, D x

I use Glow Tonic but may need to try the cleansing balm 🙂 Love it x x

14/02/2016 / 10:29 am

I totally agree with that one! I’ve been trying really hard to get back on track with my writing but I’ve been so busy I haven’t even had a chance! 💜

11. 31/03/2016 / 11:50 am

Thank you for these valuable tips, I definitely struggle to keep up with planning regular posts :}

31/03/2016 / 4:38 pm

If there is anything I can do to help you out, please do let me know my darling!💜

12. 05/09/2016 / 12:30 pm

Love all of those tips Amie!!I find that using a calendar and schedule all my posts for the month helps a lot!Even though that there are times that i can’t keep up haha

xx Aphrodite ~ BubblyBeauty

06/09/2016 / 2:51 pm

I’m totally with you on that one, I struggle to keep up with my own bloody schedule, it’s so difficult! <3

13. abbeylouisarose
    24/09/2016 / 6:07 am

This was a fantastically useful post – thank you so much for sharing! I totally agree with your advice not to plan too much, it can suck the fun out of blogging if you feel like you’re writing because you have to, rather than because you want to! Sometimes I have posts for weeks in advance written up before the posts I need to publish that weekend haha ????

Just a quick heads up, double check your sentence which starts “Well it’s important…” because I think there’s a cheeky typo in there! ????

Really enjoyed reading – thank you for sharing!

Abbey ✨ http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

27/09/2016 / 7:32 pm

Thank you so much Abbey! I am the same darling don’t worry, we all do it! Oooh thank you so much for the typo check, I will definitely sort that out! <3