How To Get Out Of A Creative Rut

how to get out of a creative rut

We all have moments don’t we, where we are looking at our computer, or our workspace and we literally have no understanding or idea of where to even start. I tend to have these if I have done too much, because then creatively you’re just exhausted! So when you’re having those kinds of moments, here are some tips to help you to work through and get your creative groove back.

1. Play music – I have found that listening to music can really help me when it comes to creativity. When you can sing along get lost in the music, sometimes the ideas and words just seem to flow so much better!

2. Take a bath – In a bath, you can honestly feel the biggest difference, especially if you have an amazing bath bomb, bubbles, a few candles, and a delicious body scrub to leave you smelling amazing!

3. Speak to loved ones – I know that when it comes to my family and friends, they’re some of my biggest inspiration so when it comes to talking to them it gives me so many ideas! It allows me to have different influences in my life but also it gives me a break from everything.

4. Pinterest – I usually go on a pinning spree, not to look for ideas, but just looking through photos of animals or quotes because it gets my brain thinking about things that could motivate me or make me think differently!

5. Cleaning – I can be a bit of a cleaning freak, so once I get started it is literally like I cannot stop, so when I want to get my creative head on but there is nothing that is getting me in the right frame of mind, I have a good clear out. You can gain so much from just clearing out, it’s literally like a good spring clean for yourself and your head!

6. Workout – This is literally my everything, I love working out and I found that it really helps to get my mind working, moving my body, focusing on me and my own happiness. Not only that if I do some yoga, it gives me a chance to get in touch with the inner me.

7. Cook some of your favourite food – When I am trying to work hard on some posts or some recipes, sometimes baking up a batch of my favourite brownies or muffins are the key. When you’re surrounded by fantastic food it gives your mind time to chill and just to enjoy the food that you’ve created!

8. Re read your favourite book – I love a good book, it is honestly one of the greatest things ever, it relaxes me so much, but not only that it can give you different perspectives on life. Whether it is an alternate life or following your dreams it can inspire you to be a better person.

9. Write a letter – I love writing letters, it is something that I absolutely adore, especially if it has the cutest stationary! I can’t resist cute stationary and it’s the perfect way to write the best letters.

10. Do something that you have always wanted to do – Honestly it is one of the best things that you could do to clear your creative rut, I have found that when you start following your dreams, everything starts to fall into place. Cheesy right? Well it’s true, and that can happen for you too!

What helps you when you’re in a creative rut? Leave your responses in the comments!

14/03/2016 / 2:03 pm

I totally agree, and they always understand where you’re coming from too!?

1. 15/03/2016 / 8:13 am

Great tips 🙂 I also find that working out really helps me get in the zone, usually creative ruts are me having a bout of low self esteem so working out makes me feel like a boss.

eleanor
    elleanorwears.com

15/03/2016 / 5:18 pm

I love working out, I feel absolutely fantastic working out, it gives you such an amazing feeling! If there is anything I can do to support you sweetheart, please do let me know!?

2. 15/03/2016 / 12:43 pm

Getting out of your usual space is great. Like you say, speak to friends, listen to music, go outside and do other things! When you return your mind will be replenished and creative.

Sophie

15/03/2016 / 5:20 pm

It definitely helps me, music is a fantastic feeling, but not only that I feel motivated and I feel like I could create a masterpiece!?

3. 15/03/2016 / 6:02 pm

Great tips hun, I like writing emails it makes my mind work especially when I am tired, I wish I could take a bath I don’t have one only a shower and it sucks!

Meme xx

16/03/2016 / 3:04 pm

Thank you so much darling, it honestly means a lot! And oh no, that sucks, a long hot shower is just as good though!?

4. 16/03/2016 / 7:53 am

I love all of these ideas, I always find listening to music really calms me down and relaxing in a bubble bath seems to give me lots of new blog post ideas 🙂
    Love Holly x

16/03/2016 / 3:08 pm

Bubble baths are so amazing, especially with all the wonderful bubbles and those amazing smells! I have to admit it is ridiculously relaxing!?

18/03/2016 / 4:13 pm

Hot baths are everything right? They are the most relaxing thing in the world!?

5. 17/03/2016 / 8:21 pm

This post is so so amazing girly and such a good read! I do exactly the same things when I want to get inspired .. I used to LOVE Pinterest at one point. … I really need to get back into it! It can honestly inspire you so much ! Fab post my love!!
    Saira xo
    Xo

18/03/2016 / 4:15 pm

I do too! I haven’t been pinning in a while, so I feel a pinning session coming on!?

6. 26/04/2016 / 3:26 pm

Love this. Cleaning actually really helps me, especially to some sort of 00’s playlist haha! Just getting away from my desk and grooving around for a while helps me get my thoughts in check! Immy x

29/04/2016 / 11:04 am

A 00s play list is literally everything! Having a bit of a sing along and dance helps everything!?

7. 25/06/2016 / 7:24 pm

I tend to listen to music too! Music has interesting benefits when it comes to getting out of a rut! Awesome post x

27/06/2016 / 5:37 pm

I totally agree, music can be so inspiring too and get you thinking about different things!?

18/07/2016 / 5:22 pm

Thank you my darling, music is one of the best sources but also it keeps me going when I get back into my creative groove!?

8. 27/07/2016 / 8:55 pm

Great tips! I recently went the whole week without having any blog writing inspiration, so I will definitely keep this tips in mind! I tend to find that reading deep quotes on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter etc help feed my inspiration (I think that is mainly because my blog is focused around positivity, happiness etc so it gives me motivation and helps get my thoughts going). Nevertheless, I loved this post- thank you for the tips!

29/07/2016 / 11:13 am

That is so good when you read deep quotes, it honestly is fantastic, it always makes me feel inspired and better about everything if I read some quotes. I’m so glad that this is helpful, please let me know how you get on with it!?