#highfiveforanxiety – My Story

My Anxiety

Ever since August 2012 I have struggled with anxiety, depression and agoraphobia, and for various different reasons which go way back to when I was a lot younger that I never told anyone, and it all hit me at once, the only thing I can compare it to is when you constantly put away your clothes in your wardrobe, you force to door shut because you don’t want everything falling out and the moment when you think you’re safe everything in your wardrobe falls out. That is basically what happened to me, I hid everything away for so long and all of a sudden it catches up with me.

When My Anxiety Arises

There can be lots of different situations that can cause my anxiety to rise, for example being in crowded places. I am usually really good when I’m with someone like my husband, my in laws, my parents, however I struggle with going a long distance on my own, which is increasingly difficult because I get extremely frustrated that I can’t be the way I was around 3 years ago, to be able to go out, walk down the town or go a long distance on my own. Other situations can be when people make jokes about anxiety and that it’s easy, you just need to calm down, it’s ridiculously annoying when people say, just calm down, it’s not a big thing, but the thing is if I get myself into a position where I’m agitated, my uncomfortable, my heart rate is high and I am getting close to the point where I’m hyperventilating then calming down isn’t as smile as it is to say.

What Calms Me Down

My husband usually knows the warning signs or when I feel panicked, it usually means I am holding onto his hand and squeezing, and he will help me with my breathing techniques so taking 3 deep breaths in, and 3 deep breaths out. If I can’t do the breathing techniques I start tapping my hands or feet, or imagine somewhere I am comfortable, somewhere that I can relax, I think of what I can hear, what I can see, what I can smell, everything, it is so relaxing and makes me feel so much better.

It Is Important To Get Help

Anxiety can be tough, it is so unpleasant, but not only that if it gets to the point where your anxiety controls your life, you need to speak to someone, if I hadn’t got help I wouldn’t be able to walk out my front door on my own, I’m not saying medication, therapy can really help. Therapy might sound like a bit step even a bit much for some anxiety, but this is about you being able to live your life with anxiety that you can manage, not your anxiety managing you.

You Shouldn’t Be Ashamed

Anxiety isn’t something that anyone should be ashamed of, I have found that trying to hide that I suffer from anything just makes it worse, there is a stigma, a stigma that shouldn’t surround it because at some point in our lives we get anxious about a lot of things, for example moving into uni, financial troubles, family life and emotional trauma are all things that could cause anxiety. It’s okay to be honest, it’s okay to struggle, you are not alone, not ever, high five for anxiety!

AUK1

Here is my high 5 for anxiety, where is yours?

Untitled-1

TwitterInstagramTumblr – Pinterest – Blog Lovin’ – Facebook

1. 27/09/2015 / 9:29 pm

Hi Amie *High five* for anxiety. I know exactly how you feel, I’ve got better at managing it over the last eight years but it always sits with me. I agree about the stigma as well, it shouldn’t exist. 🙂

28/09/2015 / 6:33 am

Thank you so much Sophie! I want to do everything that I physically can to get rid of this horrid stigma that clouds our lives! <3

2. 28/09/2015 / 3:01 pm

Hi and thank you for sharing this. My anxiety have been the boss of me for way to long now, but I know that in the end I am going to win over it. I have a great therapist and meds that are really doing their job so I’m doing better than I have in a long time.
    Also my blog have helped me a lot. It have made me feel like I’m a part or the world again and that there are things I can actually do even if I can’t take the subway at the moment.
    Once again, thank you so much for sharing you story. We are not alone in this./love Ida

28/09/2015 / 3:40 pm

It’s important to take it one day at a time, there are still things I can’t do but that doesn’t mean I won’t ever be able to do it again. Look at how far you’ve come and what you’ve achieved, you’re taking wonderful steps, you’re going to get through this! <3

3. 28/09/2015 / 8:23 pm

I actually just recently finished a round of CBT for a recent recurrence of life-altering anxiety. I know that many people are reluctant to ask for help, and even I can get that way sometimes, but it’s just so important and so freeing, don’t you think? 🙂

29/09/2015 / 8:51 am

I have CBT it helped me so much, I gave it up though because I found that it made my depression worse in the long run, and since then I’ve actually improved by using some of the techniques. I don’t recommend giving it up, but it’s important to make sure people do what is best for them! Getting help is so important because everyone needs their lives back and to be able to live their lives to the full! <3

4. 29/09/2015 / 2:35 pm

Thank you for sharing your story of Anxiety with us. I suffered from PTSD a while back, so can sympathise with some of the points you made. Dan & I used to have a system, similar to you & your husband. I found it hard to tell him things, but would suddenly get flashbacks. We created a signature hand squeeze so I could get his attention when I needed to tell him something or was struggling.

Like you, I found visual imagery really helpful. I’m glad you’ve found some techniques to make your anxiety more manageable. I’m always here if you need me! Xx

Tania | When Tania Talks

5. 29/09/2015 / 9:32 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story. The more people talk about their experiences with anxiety, the more others will feel empowered to get the help they need.
    I’ve struggled with anxiety since high school and I completely agree that the worse advice ever is “just calm down.” It’s like telling someone to just stop having allergies.
    Thanks again for the great post!

30/09/2015 / 8:44 am

Thank you so much Becca, I get the whole just calm down thing all of the time when I am emotional and it really annoys the hell out of me. I am trying to raise awareness for as much as I physically can to make people feel like they can talk about mental health more, and hopefully people won’t feel like they’re alone because even though sometimes they might feel like that, it doesn’t mean that there aren’t people that can support them through this time! <3

6. 30/09/2015 / 7:54 pm

This is such a brilliant post and even though I don’t know you, I’m proud you’ve shared your story because this will no doubt help someone else (and probably helped you write it too!). You’re clearly a brave, amazing woman because this post is really inspirational xx

Sam // Samantha Betteridge

01/10/2015 / 8:06 am

Thank you so much Sam, that honestly means the absolute world! Everyone has their own battles, but it’s not easy but 100% worth it! <3

7. 14/10/2015 / 5:58 pm

Hi,

I have had anxiety since 2009 and I know how terrible it feels. It felt like the end of the world to me, but I think I totally lost it. I went through a CBT treatment for one year. First, it became manageable, and now, I really don’t care about it anymore. I wish you all the best and finding your way out of it. SOON.

Natalie

15/10/2015 / 6:14 pm

Thank you so much Natalie it honestly means so much, I tried CBT and it actually made it worse personally, however, I did what worked for me, I don’t condone going against doctors orders, but my doctor did understand which helped me so much! ?

8. 03/05/2016 / 8:09 pm

Great post, by sharing your story anyone reading it who suffers from anxiety will know they are not alone and how important it is to get help and not feel ashamed. I’m so glad you have such a supportive husband and that you can recognise the signs. I hope things improve for you :
    Sharon Xx
    rosieloveslife.blogspot.com

04/05/2016 / 3:12 pm

Thank you so much Sharon, it honestly means the world to me darling! I would like to hope that no one would ever feel ashamed, but I know that there is such a stigma when it comes to mental health. I just hope one day no one feels ashamed and talks openly!?