Let’s be honest everyone loves a sweet treat
sometimes all the time. So having that amazing foolproof recipe to fall back on when time is short. I have been playing around with my recipe for cupcakes, and just generally mixing it up a bit, nothing wrong with experimenting right? I tried these as a pre-run for my husband’s birthday cake and they went down fabulously, so are you ready for this recipe, trust me you’re going to want it.
Ingredients – Cupcakes
- 300 ml vegan milk (I used rice milk)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- 250g self raising flour
- 150g sugar
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp vanilla (I used a vanilla bean grinder but you can use others)
- 100g of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/177°C/375°F.
- Sieve the flour, cacao powder, sugar, bicarbonate of soda & vanilla into a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until everything is completely mixed in.
- Add in your chocolate chips and mix again.
- Pour into your cupcake cases – don’t overfill!
- Put your cupcakes in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out completely clean.
Ingredients – Icing
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (I used Vitalite)
- 3 cups icing sugar (It does make a lot!)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- Small splashes of vegan milk
- Add 1/2 cup of icing sugar and a small amount of butter and mix until it’s fluffy.
- Slowly add more icing sugar and butter until all is mixed in.
- Add the cacao powder and vanilla into the mixture.
- It should be thick so it holds all of the shape on the cupcake.
- Once your cupcakes have cooled down, ice in your own way! I used a piping method.
What I’ve definitely learned from the icing recipe is it does make a lot, I was being really stingy with the amount I was using because I wanted to make sure I could ice all of the cupcakes. Next time I will definitely use the entire cupcake top and fill it with icing!
Have you tried this recipe? Is it one you would use? Let me know in the comments!
Like what you’ve read? How about we become social media friends?