When it comes to self-care, I’m a bit slow on the up take to say the least. I’m the kind of person that will always try to make sure people look after themselves, but when it comes to myself, I get a bit lazy & think I’m being selfish. In reality it is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. A lot of the time we are mega busy, we all live fast paced lives, and it doesn’t seem to end, especially when we spend so much time on social media (or at least I do!) So what are the things you should do when practicing self care?
Now self care doesn’t mean you need the most expensive candles, the premium skincare, it’s not all about that honestly. If you have it, that is amazing but your self care needs are what are important and just taking time to put yourself first!
When you put yourself first for a moment you sit there and this what? I don’t really need to take time out do I? What if people think I am being selfish? What if people think that I’m self absorbed?
It honestly doesn’t work like that. We literally all need time for ourselves sometimes, even the busiest people in the world! We get completely overwhelmed sometimes and just need to say stop, it’s time to make a change and put myself first a bit!
Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you’re an awful person for putting yourself first, we all need to do it sometimes, for our overall health and most importantly for me my mental health. The last thing I need is to go backwards rather than forwards.
So what are the things that I do when the time comes for me to practice self care?
- Turn off your phone – Oh lordy we all need to make time for that. I am always on my phone so turning it off means shutting myself off from the world and relaxing.
- Burn your favourite candle – Candles are so relaxing, especially with Autumn slowly creeping up on us, an amazing smelling candle can relax you. It’s an amazing feeling.
- Spend time with loved ones – This one is so important to me, because time goes so quickly and as cringe worthy as that sounds it is so important to spend time with the people you love the most.
- Go & explore somewhere new – Exploring somewhere new is one of the most amazing things, you get the chance to learn something new, and just see new places and take loads of amazing pictures!
- Workouts – As weird as it sounds, workouts honestly make me feel so much better, looking after yourself with mind and body is such an amazing thing and I always feel like I can take on the world after I’ve worked out.
- Surround yourself with positive people – I’ve been a bit of a negative nelly lately, I’ve been in a bit of a funk with my mental health, so knowing that you have the right people around you is so important and having my husband and my family is one of the best things in the world.
- Laugh often – Laughter is sometimes the best medicine so go out with friends, spend time with the people you love and laugh. A sense of humour honestly is one of the best things ever.
- Bake all the delicious food – Cake, biscuits, scones, whatever takes your fancy, homemade deliciousness makes every day so much better.
- Get lost in a book – Getting lost in a book can help you to recharge your batteries, get you away from the real world and to just relax.
- Learn to say no – We can’t do everything, it isn’t physically possible, so learning to say no to certain things is one of the most difficult things we can do. Remember you’re human, sometimes to get the best out of yourself you need t say no sometimes.
What are some of the things that you do when you need to practice self care? Have I missed some? Let me know in the comments!
Like what you’ve read? How about we become social media friends?