Why The Gym Isn’t For Everyone

Why The Gym Isn't For Everyone

I know from my own personal experience that the gym isn’t for everyone however fitness is something I am ridiculously passionate about, it is such a huge part of my life. Everyone’s journey is incredibly different, some things work for one person and other things work for another, there is no one streamlined thing that works for one person. I get asked how I manage to do my weight loss without a gym, it’s not for everyone, and I think it is important to talk about this, because in all honesty I’m not a gym person, I’m not the type of person that goes to a gym! So why don’t I enjoy the gym?

I feel like everyone is watching me, genuinely, I mean you always feel like while you’re working out, people watch what you’re doing, oh you’re not on an incline on the treadmill, oh you’re not lifting heavy enough weights like honestly I’m on my own journey and I hate the thought of people thinking I’m not working hard enough when I workout.

People who feel the need to comment on what you’re doing, we are all there to do our own thing, to feel fabulous to focus on our fitness, but I at one point someone came up to me and said you’re doing it all wrong, you should be working out harder for longer, how do you expect to lose weight like that. DUDE SERIOUSLY?

The people who literally hog 1 machine. I was trying to workout, I was on the bike, there was this one person, I was in the gym for 2 hours and they were on that 1 machine for 2 whole hours, I mean honestly you would have thought they would give themselves a chance to train different muscles.

The gym can be expensive, if you’re trying your best to save money, then the gym can be an expense that you can you could probably do without, so there are other ways in which that you can work out.

Sometimes there can be pressure in the gym, everyone is working out really hard, people are doing their stuff, and sometimes there can be pressure for you to stay longer than you might want to, I know when I went I felt so pressured.

People forget that we were all a beginner when we started, when we get into the gym mode, sometimes people forget that and then you get people judging you for doing things your way and trying to learn.

HALLELUJAH THERE ARE OTHER WAYS FOR YOU TO WORK OUT.

There are so many different ways for you to work out, for example YouTube! YouTube is an absolutely fabulous way in which you’re able to workout, you can try new things in your own home, there are a variety of different videos online too! I love yoga videos, they’re some of my favourites, but not only that there are HIIT workouts, which are fantastic if you’re in a hurry. The best bit, you don’t have to worry about people looking at you, or thinking you’re doing it wrong!

Not only that you can do things like go out for a walk, if you have kids, go and play football with the kids, cycling, running, that is all free!

If the gym is for you, and you love it, that is absolutely fabulous, but it’s not for everyone, you have to do what works the best for you.

Do you like the gym? What is your gym experience? Leave your response in the comments!

1. kimmie
    01/06/2016 / 8:09 pm

I did the gym thing once….and all I really wanted to do was walk on the treadmill for my 30 minutes. I loved being in there by myself after the kids went to school. I could watch the channel I wanted and not talk. Toward the end of my membership, more often than not, the same 2 women would come in and TALK THE ENTIRE TIME THEY WERE THERE. It killed me.

A few years later….I walk. There’s a nature trail near our home….or I walk the quiet back street in our neighborhood while listening to a podcast and waving at neighbors.

02/06/2016 / 6:44 pm

Trails are absolutely amazing, I love them so much and it is one of the best things ever, it’s natural and it doesn’t cost a thing! I love a good listen to some podcasts because they keep you going when you want to give up and go home!💜

• kimmie
        02/06/2016 / 9:12 pm

YES! You can’t stop in the middle of a The Black Tapes episode!!!!!

02/06/2016 / 9:16 pm

Precisely, and it doesn’t feel like exercise when you’re doing other things!💜

2. 02/06/2016 / 8:43 am

YouTube workout videos are the best! There are so many to choose from and you can find something to suit your needs.

02/06/2016 / 6:49 pm

I totally agree, it honestly one of the best things ever, and you have a variety of different things to try and if you like it then you have found something you love and can continue doing!💜

3. 02/06/2016 / 9:59 pm

I dread the gym because I too feel like everyone is watching me. Also half the machines are intimidating and I hate to look like an idiot who doesn’t know what they’re doing! Sometimes just running around my neighborhood is enough for me. (: I’ve actually been kicked out of a gym before, but that’s a story for another time.

Single Vegas Girl

05/06/2016 / 12:38 pm

I totally agree, but I think it is important to just enjoy what you do. Running in your local area is free and you can just enjoy it! Oh my gosh that is ridiculous, I hope that they realise that they lost an amazing person in their gym!💜

4. Nadia
    05/06/2016 / 9:23 am

Reading this as I’m about to set off to the gym..
    Great point though. It isn’t for everyone. I enjoy it personally but i tend to lean more towards getting outdoors and running/walking in summer!

Lovely blog <3

05/06/2016 / 12:47 pm

It’s so much easier in the summer when the weather is nice you have the sunshine to enjoy and it’s just an amazing feeling! 💜

14/06/2016 / 10:59 am

The important thing is that you’ve found something that works fr you! I’m the same darling, I have my own fitness equipment in my room so I love to work out in my own room so I don’t feel like I’m being judged! 💜

17/06/2016 / 9:57 am

Thank you so much darling it means a lot. I totally agree, I struggle so badly with feeling like people are watching me, it’s like I know people have other things to do but I still feel like all eyes are on me!💜

5. 24/06/2016 / 1:17 am

I think my sister would appreciate this more than me, mostly because I love being on the gym floor. My sister on the other hand… absolutely detests the gym , she’ll go to classes but stands at the back haha! The struggle is real! x

27/06/2016 / 5:35 pm

I’m the same, with classes I think people will be watching me and I become all self conscious, but I think it is important to find what works for you!💜

6. 10/11/2016 / 2:27 pm

Great post! I personally hated the gym for years because I thought everyone was looking at me like you said. But recently I pushed myself and signed up again and have found a weird love for it! I even tried out a Kettlebell class the other week, and as tough as it was, I’ll definitely go again. I feel kind of proud at myself for finding a way to get over my anxieties. That said I do love a good workout video from the comfort of my living room too!

7. 18/11/2016 / 2:12 am

I’m a gym member but don’t really go that much anymore which is a shame. I think it’s because I don’t like getting ready to go there- I was used to just working out at my home. But when I moved out I didn’t have that option so it felt like a chore. And I feel like when I work out more I eat a lot more which is annoying- I know there’s a whole way to keep that in check but who feels like dealing with that?! Lol. And who the heck would have the nerve to say something about how you work out?! How rude! Thanks for the post!
    XX Jen