My Struggle With Clothes Sizings

My Struggle With Clothes Sizing

We all have those moments right? We go clothes shopping, we find these amazing clothes, we go into the dressing room and try them on and they either don’t fit or they’re too baggy. It is really irritating right? I could go into one store, buy a top that is a size 16 and go into another and buy a top that is a size 20. Now that might not seem like a big different in terms of number sizes, however, if you went and looked at the inches of difference, there can be up to 6 inches overall.

A lot of people would probably turn around and say that nothing about our clothes has changed, we have just got bigger as the years have gone on and we are just imagining things, however, as someone who has lost so much weight (sorry to keep bothering you with it all) however I’ve been needing new clothes, so I can definitely say that it isn’t true that I am just imagining it.

In terms of my size, I can be a variety of sizes, especially when it comes to tops. So I could go into a store, I won’t name any names, try on a top that could be a size 16, it could be really really baggy, whereas I could try on a top that is a size 20 and it be really really tight. Now how does that work? The annoying thing is, you might buy something online, and have to buy double in 2 different sizes because you don’t know how it might be cut or how it might fit you in general! Changing rooms can also be just as disheartening, having to take up to 3 different sizes of clothes in just because you never know the way they fit. Not only that you end up doing a little dance to put it on, which is so annoying, we all know that dance when you’re trying to get into new jeans right?

Now in all honesty what we need is a universal sizing system over all clothing stores, why may you ask? Because not only would it make life much easier for everyone, but also it would help improve the way that people think. Not only should it be a universal sizing system, the cut of clothes should be universal, now I don’t mean the cut of your jeans all being the same, I mean not cutting corners on the amount of material they use and keeping the price exactly the same or increasing it. Surely we should be able to buy clothes without having to worry about whether or not it is actually going to fit because they cut clothes funny!

Ever wondered what the measurements are like in some of your favourite stores? Then here it is!

clothing-sizes

*source*

The reason I say this is because if you were to say to someone, oh I’m a size 16, you know the response you would get and what I get on a regular basis, you need to lose weight, you’re too big. I know when I have to go up a few sizes, I end up feeling really really bad about myself, because I end up thinking, what have I done wrong, why am I not losing weight, why am I going up sizes when in reality, I shouldn’t be.

Not convinced that things have changed that much? If you look back at the icon that is Marilyn Monroe, she was a gorgeous lady right, and literally had the perfect hourglass figure that so many people aspire to be like. She wore clothing that was a UK size 16, however, their clothes sizes were a lot smaller than they are today however want to hear the worst thing, Marilyn could actually have been as small as size double zero in our clothes sizing.

What are your experiences? Leave your response in the comments!

1. 30/04/2016 / 12:04 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your opinion and being so open and honest about clothes sizes. I hate my size since getting bigger and found clothes shopping a horrible task but similar to yourself I could be a size 16 in one, a size 20 in the second and a size 12 in a third. It just doesn’t make sense! I have lost so much confidence from it as well but it’s nice to know that I’m not alone.

Yasmina | The July Journal

30/04/2016 / 7:52 pm

Don’t let them get to you, you’re a beautiful human being and the size of your clothes doesn’t change that! Please stay strong my darling, you will get there, just embrace the beautiful person that you are!?

2. 30/04/2016 / 2:49 pm

I do agree that the clothing sizes have gone up in resent years. One of the things I know companies are doing is vanity sizing. They create a garments two sizes bigger than the size label, so that people would feel better about themselves. However, this makes a big problem when it is only some of the companies that do this. The other problem is that not all the companies can cater to every customer. We all have such different shapes that it is really difficult to make the clothing to fit all them. So companies decide which body types they cater to, which is usually the skinny model type or petite girl, unfortunately. There is no one measurement of waste for one size, because size is difficult to put a number on. When there are two girls who have different sized waists but the same size hips, what would their size be? Hmm, I started writing an essay here apparently, sorry for that, but it is just my thoughts on the sizing in the fashion industry. With all the different shapes it is really difficult to put a number on clothing sizes, which does not make it easier for us to shop!

30/04/2016 / 8:06 pm

I totally agree, however, I think it important to understand that different shops should have a streamlined sizing system, because it would make it much easier for the consumer to buy clothes because honestly it’s a struggle because there is just no system whatsoever! It’s totally okay for the essay, I love a good conversation about it!?

3. Kathryn
    30/04/2016 / 3:07 pm

This is a subject that honestly frustrates me so much! I’m usually ok when it comes to buying clothes for my bottom half as my size seems to be the same in every store (except a couple of exceptions) but when it comes to tops. It’s the biggest struggle ever, and because I don’t exactly have the smallest boobs in the world, I could basically be any size haha!

As shallow as it may sound, having to size up in clothes makes me feel awful about myself. It shouldn’t but as I’m so self conscious of my size I basically beat myself up about it. I can’t even begin to imagine the effect this has on younger generations too, it’s really quite dangerous. But anyway enough of the rambles, I’m glad you wrote a post on it as it’s something that’s rarely addressed! x

Kathryn | Chapters of Kat

30/04/2016 / 8:09 pm

Darling it isn’t shallow at all, I think it is something that all women struggle with because you end up feeling like you’re doing something wrong, but in all honesty you’re not it’s the bloody stores! I totally agree, I don’t want my kinds or anyone to have to go through that, imagine the knock on self confidence, it’s horrendous! Let’s just hope we get a bit of movement on this!?

4. 01/05/2016 / 6:02 pm

Oh my goodness… That’s super interesting about Marilyn Monroe, I never knew that! Isn’t it strange how clothing sizes change? Bizarre.
    I think there should be a strict size guideline, where shops sizing have to be the same sizes and measurements consistantly.
    In Topshop I’m a size 10, but in Primark I’m a 6. Gets annoying, right?!
    StephLeaMead Blog X

03/05/2016 / 2:38 pm

I totally agree darling, I think it is important for women to be able to feel like they can go into a shop and not have to worry about oh am I doing something wrong, what is wrong with me, why am I different sizes in different stores. ?

5. 01/05/2016 / 7:12 pm

Clothes sizes are awful! I’ve found that there can be a significant different between two of the same items, in the same sizes! A half inch difference in length, a half inch difference in waist band size, it’s no wonder that we have to take in three different sizes to (hopefully, if the cut isn’t odd) find something that fits us! I really don’t understand the discrepancies between different stores sizes either. The sizing system was brought in so that there was some consistence, yet there is none even across clothes from the same retailer! It’s no wonder I find clothes shopping frustrating. Xx

Tania | When Tania Talks

03/05/2016 / 2:44 pm

I totally agree darling, I know it is incredibly difficult for companies to cater for all shapes and sizes, however I think it is important that they are aware that the differences between the sizes are beyond a joke. We can only hope that one day, they get their backsides into gear and hopefully have a streamlined system. ?

6. 02/05/2016 / 5:04 am

I completely relate to this post! I have always struggled with buying clothes and my anxiety does not help. In some things I’m a 12, but something else a 16. Clothes shopping can take hours, so I always feel bad if anyone has decided to come with me.

03/05/2016 / 2:46 pm

It is ridiculous right? You find something, you like it, but the other thing that I struggle with is if you go up a size, sometimes it hangs differently! It’s all good darling, if we ever go shopping, we can struggle together!?

7. 10/05/2016 / 2:19 pm

I don’t understand how so many shops can be so different… a size 12 should be the same everywhere. Like I know it happens, but like, why?! It doesn’t make sense does it. I bought a skater skirt from primark once, and had to buy 3 sizes up to zip it round my waist! I still don’t understand how that can happen.

10/05/2016 / 2:42 pm

I totally agree with you Katie! It would be so much easier if it was all just a streamlined system. Oh my gosh that is madness, you should be able to go into a store and buy the same size that you get everywhere else! ?

8. 24/07/2016 / 6:59 am

I find it totally crazy that you can walk into a shop, pick up two pairs of jeans and one will fit perfectly and the others you have to pretty much stuff yourself into. It drives me bonkers! I don’t understand why’re shopes can’t all work from the same measurements. Xx

25/07/2016 / 10:18 am

I totally agree! It’s so difficult because I feel like there is something wrong with my body rather than the actual jeans!?

01/08/2016 / 2:21 pm