Why I Meditate & How To Start

legs-434918_1280

Meditation is one of the most incredible things I have put into my daily routine, it is incredibly helpful and calming and getting in touch with your emotions can also help to train the mind. Not only that it actually gives you some alone time with your thoughts and to just take some time out for you, I know that I use my meditation as some alone time for me and to take some time out after a busy day. If you’ve had a long day and you’ve honestly had it up to your eyes in people and all that, then meditation is something that you can do which is honestly ridiculously calming and will help you to focus on the positives rather than the negatives. What I find with meditations is that it helps me to get rid of all the negativity that I might be feeling at that moment and just move forward and clear my mind. Ready to meditate?

Concentration Meditation

To start concentration meditation it’s all about focusing on one thing, so that could be your breathing, staring at something, counting your breath, counting something aloud, or repeating a phrase. To start off start with a couple of minutes, turn off all of your electronics, and just sit in calm for a few minutes, focus on something. When your concentration starts to weaken, take a deep breath and focus on other things, that is what I do when I feel my brain wandering.

Mindful Meditation

When your concentration is lacking, you have lots of thoughts going through your mind, it’s important to make a mental note of these thoughts. A lot of the time the thoughts or feelings that come into your brain follow patterns, and practicing this over a period of time can help the person who is meditating to judge whether or not these feelings or thoughts are good or bad.

Ways Of Starting Meditation

There are lots of ways in which you can do this, for example there are lots of videos on YouTube which you can follow, that can be a really good place to start with meditation, because then you can see if this is something you want to do and if this practice is what you want to continue.

My tips for starting meditation are:

1. Find somewhere comfortable and quiet, you can sit or lie down or in a chair where you’re the most relaxed.
  2. Take a deep breath and calm, by this point you need to close your eyes.
  3. Don’t start to focus on your breathing yet, you need to breathe calmly and naturally.
  4. Now is the time you have to focus on your breath, focus on the way your body reacts to the breathing, how does it make you feel, all the while your shoulders move, your chest lifts, focus on the breath. At this point there can be moments where your mind loses focus, when this happens, focus on your breathing.
  5. Slowly over the day or weeks increase the amount of time you take to meditate.

Happy Meditating!

loveamiex

1. Kenzie Wilson
    07/04/2016 / 6:56 am

Love this post! Meditation has been invaluable to me in terms of finding peace within myself and de-stressing. It’s so nice to see it being addressed as so accessible and easy, as that’s what it is! What helped me immensely as a beginner was an app that had free guided meditations and allowed you to track how long you’ve meditated etc. called Breathe (I have an iPhone but it may be available on other platforms). I don’t mean to blabber but I just adore this topic! Thanks for sharing 🙂
    xoxo, Kenzie | KenzieBlogs.com

07/04/2016 / 3:30 pm

Oooh I never knew that! I have an android so I will have a look and see if it is available, if it is, I’ll try and dedicate a post to it to help! I totally agree that meditation is so important and something that people can forget about in terms of calming! Don’t be silly, I love a good conversation so please do carry on!?

2. 07/04/2016 / 9:16 am

I’ve tried this before, and it’s not for me!! Glad it helps you though 🙂 Tania xx taniamichele.blogspot.co.uk

07/04/2016 / 3:34 pm

Everyone has different coping mechanisms and as long as you have found something that you find something that calms you, that is the most important thing!?

3. 07/04/2016 / 10:51 am

This is something I was recommended to try a year ago by my counsellor. I never did at the time, but with my anxiety so bad recently I think I’ll give it a go. Can’t hurt to try right? 🙂 x http://www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

07/04/2016 / 3:35 pm

I’d totally recommend it darling, give it a few tries before you give it up, it can be difficult at first to get used to, so just take it slowly!?

4. 07/04/2016 / 12:15 pm

I´m usually really bad with relaxation techniques but since I´m starting to turn my life around right now, I really want to give meditation a go. These tips are really helpful for me right now!
    xx Lisa

07/04/2016 / 3:35 pm

Please do give it a go darling, and let me know how you get on with it! I promise it is worth it?

5. 07/04/2016 / 9:11 pm

This is such a helpful post! I’ve noticed myself feeling increasingly stressed out by my daily routine recently and I think this would help. For some reason I’d always felt like I should meditate in the morning, when I don’t really have time, but of course evening meditating would work too! Xx

08/04/2016 / 10:35 am

If it’s possible, maybe even for 5 minutes in the morning to mentally prepare for the day ahead. I do sometimes in the morning if the day is going to be particularly stressful. You do what is best for you an your routine!?

6. 08/04/2016 / 11:22 pm

Far too many posts on meditation make is sound unrealistic and unattainable, because they include too many ‘milestones’ and things that you’ve got to do, otherwise you aren’t ‘doing it right’. But your post is so different and truly inspiring, I’ve always liked the idea of meditating, and dabbled lightly in it, but you’ve encouraged me to bring it back into my daily routine!

09/04/2016 / 1:13 pm

Thank you so much darling that honestly means a lot, just take it one at a time, you can’t do more than that and if you don’t enjoy it, then you don’t have to do it, there is no pressure!?

7. 09/04/2016 / 1:31 am

This is another really helpful post – I’ve really been struggling recently with anxiety and depression and meditation has become a real lifeline for me so this is great to read and you’ve got some brilliant tips too! – Tasha

09/04/2016 / 2:36 pm

Thank you so much Tasha! I hope the tips help you sweetheart, send you lots of love! I’m here if you need anything?

8. 11/04/2016 / 10:41 am

This year I’ve taken up giving myself 15-20 minute breaks for meditation. I’ve also tried a few breathing techniques like the 4-7-8 breaths. I do find them quite tricky but on the whole it’s been helping with my anxiety. Your tips were helpful because I tend to start off focusing on the breath and not ease into it as much as I should.

11/04/2016 / 4:57 pm

I do the same darling, I find if I focus on my breathing it really helps my anxiety especially if I have been in particularly stressful situations!?

9. 02/05/2016 / 10:02 am

Many months ago when I started Martial Arts and working out, my coach recommended meditation at the end of the work out or training session.

I never really understood why, but my coach is a Commonwealth Gold Medallist, so thought I’d try it. The first time I tried, it relaxed me so much. The second time not so much. I was interrupted by a train coming past me and the third time I got a phone call.

So, I kinda gave up. Perhaps it’s time to try again!

03/05/2016 / 2:49 pm

I’d totally recommend it, I do it a lot, and it feels so good afterwards, it just calms your mind and clears your head! It makes me feel so much better!?