Why I Don’t Use Scales

Why I Don't Use Scales

I have been very vocal as always about my weight loss journey and how difficult it has been for me to get to where I am today! When it comes to weight loss however, it has always been well documented about using scales and that being a good way to be able to see how much weight you’ve lost.

There are so many problems that I personally have with scales because I genuinely think that they don’t actually show how far you’ve come with your healthy living journey properly.

So why do the scales not matter?

1. Your weight fluctuates!

I know this from previous experience, I was going through a phase where I was weighing myself twice a day because I was so obsessed with getting the number down, and I actually put weight on throughout the day!

2. It doesn’t account for muscle mass.

When you’re on a scale, all it measures is your weight as a whole, it doesn’t take into account the muscle that you’re gaining or anything, so for all you know you could be building muscles and your weight might end up going up but in reality when you put those clothes on, you’re actually smaller than you were.

3. Take progress pictures.

This is one of the best things I’ve ever done, taking progress pictures has really helped me to see where I’ve got to with my weight loss. I am able to look back on pictures of myself and think blimey did I really let myself become that person, was I really that big? And actually, it gives me greater motivation to just keep going and not let myself fall back into old habits.

4. Don’t let yourself be defined by a number.

Trust me I know, this is much easier said than done, because when you see a number, whether it is on your clothes, on the scale, anything, it can just play over and over in your mind, but remember you’re more than that number! You’re a beautiful person inside and out, you are funny, strong, intelligent and you have so much to give this amazing world!

5. All scales are different.

I tried this once, I measured myself at the same time, on 2 different scales, there was a massive difference on both, of around 7 lbs, I mean honestly, it was ridiculous, I was gobsmacked. Surely this wasn’t right? But I tried it again, I had lost weight on both, but there was still a 5lb difference. Maybe scales aren’t all they’re cracked up to be right?

6. Everyone is different!

I cannot stress how important this is to remember that there is no one else n this world like you, you’re a beautiful person and there is so much that you can do in this world, don’t ever feel like you have to compare yourself to anyone. Just because someone is one way, it doesn’t mean you have to be too, you’re beautiful and incredible just being you, own it!

1. 21/03/2016 / 9:11 am

I get quite hung up on scales but they also don’t take water retention into account! I’m trying to use a tape measure instead because it’s a bit more reliable for weight that’s actually going!

21/03/2016 / 9:25 am

That is an absolutely fantastic idea darling! I use my clothes to see how I am getting on with my weight loss as I have found it is a fantastic way of judging how far I’ve come!💜

2. 21/03/2016 / 8:47 pm

This is so important! I used to be obsessed with stepping on the scales everyday, and it made me really unhappy. It really is just a number and says nothing about your actual health.

22/03/2016 / 4:19 pm

Thank you Mimmi! I totally agree my darling, your health is more than just a number at the end of the day and I think it is incredibly important to remember that!💜

3. 22/03/2016 / 11:10 am

I wholeheartedly agree with every point you made! I personally haven’t used a scale in months, I feel like I don’t need to put the pressure of checking my weight regularly to work towards my goal of becoming healthier!

Franzi. x // [http://franzizzy.blogspot.com/]

24/03/2016 / 1:45 pm

Thank you so much Franzi it means a lot! That is so important to not feel pressured to go and weigh yourself because you shouldn’t be feeling like that, you’re not defined by that number!💜

4. Roxie
    22/03/2016 / 11:34 am

I found that weighing myself on the scales actually became a bit of an obsession. Getting rid of them was the best thing I’ve ever done. Taking progress photos is such a great idea!

Roxie | The Beautiful Bluebird

24/03/2016 / 1:46 pm

Taking progress pictures is so important to me because it gives you a proper visual of your entire body, because the scale doesn’t give you an accurate reading! 💜

5. 24/03/2016 / 7:36 am

Last time I weighed myself on the scales it said I was heavier but my jeans, usually tight, and even underwear were looser when I put them on. I did think it odd at the time but have always believed in the scales. After reading this though I’m less inclined to and will be putting less faith in scales and more in other ways of measuring how much weight I have lost! x http://www.aimeeraindropwrites.co.uk x

24/03/2016 / 1:47 pm

I’m so happy that you’ve felt less inclined to believe the scales, your clothes and underwear will show you the true scale of how far you’re coming. Be proud of what you’ve achieved my darling, I’m sure you look incredible!💜

6. 24/03/2016 / 11:06 pm

Oh, scales really are the worst thing ever. Like I weigh myself occasionally but it’s just curiosity to see the fluctuations to be honest. Actual measurements and photos are your best friend haha!

26/03/2016 / 1:35 pm

I totally agree sweetheart, they can have such a hold over you too! And it is so tough to get rid of that hold!💜

7. 15/05/2016 / 9:52 pm

This post is amazing, you are literally putting my thoughts into words – I also don’t like scales as like you say, weight fluctuates and each scale is different. I also think that by using a scale everyday we focus too much on the number and forget what it’s really about – about being healthy. xx

113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

16/05/2016 / 2:06 pm

Thank you so much darling, it honestly means a lot! I have started to focus more on the way my clothes feel, rather than the number that is on a scale.💜