8 Tips For Surviving Social Media

technology-1106438_1280

Social media can be difficult at the best of times, I mean honestly I’m still getting used to it and I’ve officially been blogging for almost a year and using all my social media! Now when it comes to social media, it can sometimes be a minefield, you’re going to have moments where you feel like you’re going round and round in circles and you feel like you’re at the mercy of your internet connection.

Social media is something that practically everyone uses, whether it is Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, LinkedIn, almost everyone has one and uses it on a regular basis! So when it comes to social media it shows how powerful it really is, and in all honesty it still has a long way to go.

As most of us know, when it comes to social media, it is easy for us to get caught up in being nosy through links, or having a chat, and then before you know it, an hour has gone passed and you’ve not got anything done. So let’s look at ways in which we can combat all of these and look at how to survive on social media and make the most of it!

1. Auto DM’s

For the love of god please turn them off, I mean honestly, they’re the worst and they are ridiculously annoying! I used them at first because I genuinely thought that it would be okay, but looking back at it now, setting them up and then sending them to all the people that were following me, I can imagine how annoying they would have been and I apologise now! I’m so sorry! They’re not necessary honestly and they won’t help you, if anything people might unfollow you because they will think it’s just spam.

2. Narrow Down Your Platforms

When it comes to social media I have found it can be time consuming, so when it comes to the right platforms for my blog I find it is very important. Look at where you’re getting a lot of traffic from, where you put in a lot of time and you get a lot back from and narrow down where you’re going to put a lot of your time. I have found  that you don’t need to be extremely active on all of your social media outlets, just make sure that you still enjoy using them!

3. Use #hashtags

Hashtags are your best friend, they will put your content right in the middle of something, whether it is a conversation or something specific to your audience. If you’re using the right hashtags and making sure you’re using  your content to the max, then you will see that your statistics will increase!

4. Plan Your Social Media Tasks

Honestly it is so important to plan your tasks and what you need to be doing. There can be a variety of different things that you need to do, however, by planning out the time frame you’re going to have & dedicate your time to certain tasks. That way you have a game plan, and it will really help you to stay on task and achieve what you need to!

5. Be Yourself

When it comes to being on social media it is important to show yourself for who you are. Don’t try to be someone you’re not because in all honesty you will get found out, and you should want people to love you for the fantastic person that you are not someone who you try to be.

The thing to remember is there is still going to be someone who doesn’t agree with your statement, and it’s important to deal with it accordingly. If you don’t agree with what someone says, talk it out like normal people, don’t start an argument, it’s not worth it. You’re a fabulous person and arguments aren’t worth it, especially with people you might have not met in real life.

6. Focus On The Reason You’re There

You’re there because you want to be, and because you want to share your section of the internet with others and to appreciate what others write. Remember that there are always going to be people that try to bring you down, not only that, there will be negative influences within the community, but never forget that you’re a fantastic person and you don’t need people like that in your life.

7. Don’t Forget To Network

Talking to other bloggers is so important! They’re a fantastic bunch of people, and honestly I have the most amazing friends in the world, they’re the people who make the blogging world the most perfect place in the world. By networking you’re able to inspire each other, but also you feel like you’re supported in the best way possible.

8. Keep Going

Social media can be really tough, I’m not going to lie, I still find it really difficult to keep up with, however, you will build a following, you will meet new and incredible people, people who will continue to inspire you. So when it seems difficult, keep going, I promise you it’s worth it.

Those are my top tips for surviving social media, got more tips? Share your comments below!

1. 07/02/2016 / 1:04 pm

Great post. I totally agree with all of Your points here but especially with the seventh- Talking to other bloggers but for me it’s not that simple and eassy, huh 🙂

Agne // http://classyflow.blogspot.com/

07/02/2016 / 1:41 pm

I completely agree, I have terrible anxiety so it’s something that I’ve been working on, so just take it slowly one day at a time. Put yourself out there, because you’re a fantastic person!💜

08/02/2016 / 9:48 am

Thank you so much darling it means a lot!💜

2. 07/02/2016 / 10:52 pm

Great tips. 🙂 I do find social media SOO time-consuming but everyone who spends sometime there says the same thing.
    About auto DMs in twitter, I hear people complaining about them, but I haven’t recieved any (lucky me??) and I don’t even know how to send them, guess that’s a good thing. 😀
    Yees, I agree with you on networking. That is important everywhere, in life, business, blogging etc.
    And I find twitter sometimes little confusing. I mean, firstly, to reach more than few of your followers you have to say the same thing more than once (for example about a new blogpost!) and secondly, the same thing makes my twitter feed full of similar tweets and thirdy, if in a tweet there are links, hashtags, pictures it looks almost spammy to me. I know it is not meant to be, but sometimes it is hard to percieve tweets like that. Just my wonderings about twitter. 🙂
    Madara

08/02/2016 / 9:54 am

The auto DM’s can be set up through an app, they send to all new followers all the time and it’s a generic message, but it is so annoying because they just send and it’s like no please don’t send them. I totally agree when it comes to networking, it is important to reach out and continue to speak to people because they are the people who support you! I completely agree my darling however, to be able to reach more people with your blog post sometimes people won’t be able to check social media throughout the day, and if people are on social media and they’ve not seen your post, by using different hashtags it allows you to be able have a new demographic maybe!

I hope that helps 🙂 💜

3. facebook-profile-picture
    08/02/2016 / 9:49 am

Thank you so much darling! I totally agree, they’re so annoying! 💜

4. 08/02/2016 / 4:31 pm

Loved this post. Social media can be so incredibly time consuming and annoying but at the same time super amazing for networking and making friends.

Love, Kerstin

08/02/2016 / 5:37 pm

Thank you so much Kerstin it honestly means a lot! But social media can be so worth it in the long run! Hope this has helped lovely!💜

5. 08/02/2016 / 5:16 pm

Thank you for grateful tips! Having a little trouble getting the traffic that I want!

Think im going to start a group on facebook now where I can invite other bloggers to share our content and get comments on it!

Again

Thx =)

08/02/2016 / 5:39 pm

You’re more than welcome, I’m so glad I could help. In terms of traffic, there are some facebook groups already so that might help you out darling!💜

6. 08/02/2016 / 8:07 pm

All valid and good tips espec’ the narrow down social media as you can feel as if you MUST be on everything and it becomes difficult a chore and NOT fun. I stick mainly to instagram and now twitter x

09/02/2016 / 4:30 pm

Thank you so much Rosie! I’m so glad you’ve been able to narrow down your social media outlets! When you have so many it is one of the most difficult things to be able to juggle, and scheduling it can be so difficult! 💜

7. 09/02/2016 / 10:32 am

I loved this! Auto DMs are the devil! I agree about networking on social media. Its important not to have a feed full of blog promos and mix it up with some chat too 🙂

Kirstie | Behind The Scent

09/02/2016 / 4:40 pm

I totally agree, I’ve recently been working hard to make sure that my feed isn’t just filled with blog links, so I’m working hard on that!💜

8. 10/02/2016 / 3:03 pm

Great tips! I’m so glad I turned my auto dm’s off, I completely agree with you like seriously.. What was I thinking?! Networking is also SO important, my blog traffic and comment interaction always increases so much after taking part in blog chats. Plus, they are such a fun way to end my day too!

Toni x

10/02/2016 / 4:07 pm

Thank you so much Toni, it means a lot! I totally agree, I did the same thing with the auto DM’s and oh my gosh it was such a mistake, but we all have to learn at some point. Networking is such an important part of the blogging world and there are so many incredible people out there who will offer you this amazing support system and they literally make your day!💜

9. 14/02/2016 / 9:53 pm

Totally agree with you on these points. I really like the narrowing your platforms. I have always felt that as a blogger you have to be on all things social media – so I pushed and pushed myself to do it and found myself burnt out. After reading about the fact that it’s okay to not be as active on one platform or another makes me feel better.

What’s your favorite media platform?

15/02/2016 / 5:47 pm

I always seem to burn myself out lately, I’ve narrowed them down, but I’m so behind on everything that I need to catch up soon! Remember that it is okay to not be so active, queuing posts can really help with that though darling!💜

10. 18/02/2016 / 2:48 pm

Great post – very helpful. Especially as recently I have felt so overwhelmed with social media. And you’re so right with auto-dm’s. They just make me want to unfollow. I don’t know anyone still uses them nowadays. It seems like everyone hates them! Haha. xo

18/02/2016 / 5:33 pm

Thank you so much my lovely! I’m so glad it was very helpful. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know!💜

11. 26/02/2016 / 4:10 pm

Love love LOVE this post! I can’t stand those automatic DMs on twitter… I mean it’s the opposite of being personal/direct!

26/02/2016 / 6:20 pm

Thank you so much darling! I think it can be so annoying, especially as it doesn’t actually help views or gaining subscribers, it’s just annoying when you’re trying to work hard!💜

12. 01/03/2016 / 7:38 pm

I had AUTO dm’s on for awhile (sorry!) and I found that It increased my views for awhile! I hated twitter to begin with but now I love twitter, its such a good way to chat to loads of new people and get yourself out there!

Tarnya / http://www.sweetallure.co.uk

01/03/2016 / 7:59 pm

It’s okay, we all have to learn things and blogging is still such a learning curve even for me! I am absolutely addicted to Twitter, I can’t get enough of it!💜

13. 15/03/2016 / 7:59 pm

This is a great post and some really good advice. I agree, auto DMs can be really annoying. I get most of my traffic from twitter so I try and use more of my time on that, Instagram is my second favourite. I do need to get involved in my chats though 💕🌹 x
    Sharon from rosieloveslife.blogspot.com

16/03/2016 / 3:06 pm

Just take it slowly with the bloggers chats, I have to admit I do a lot of them and sometimes they can take a lot out of you, trying to have so many conversations at the same time but they are the best things ever!💜

25/04/2016 / 5:23 pm

You’re so sweet darling, I am so glad that you loved the post! I’ll definitely follow you back!💜

14. 03/05/2016 / 7:19 am

Thank you for these! I particularly agree with number 7. I still don’t have that many blogger friends, but I’m coming out of my shell a bit and chatting to more bloggers and it’s making my blogging experience so much more enjoyable!

Kelly // Velvet and Vibranium

03/05/2016 / 2:53 pm

You will get there darling, just don’t push things too soon, put yourself out there, we are all so supportive, and you always have me no matter what!💜

15. Hayley
    09/05/2016 / 1:55 pm

Great post, I love social media but sometimes it’s just so time consuming. OMG, yes. Auto DMs are bloody awful. I have never set them up purely because when I get them myself they annoy me 🙂 I see why people might use them to try gaining more interaction but me personally I really dislike them. I love hashtags, still not entirely sure which ones are best to use but I do love them.

♥ HWY29

10/05/2016 / 2:24 pm

I totally agree, it is honestly so time consuming but I have found it can be so rewarding. I dislike them too because they are just so annoying I mean I used them before, however I’ve definitely learned my lesson with them! Hastags are literally a bloggers bread and butter, you need to use them!💜

16. 14/06/2016 / 3:54 pm

Awesome tips, especially the first! Auto DM’s kill me…I cannot stand them! I usually wind up unfollowing the person who sends them.

17/06/2016 / 10:05 am

Me to darling! They are the worst and it’s just like they just bother you and bug you all of the time, if you want to check out their blog then you can!💜

17. 06/10/2016 / 11:22 pm

Thank you for this post – really enjoyed it, and it’s super helpful. I find that when I focus on one platform the other suffers – it’s such a tough balancing act.

Sincerely, Sarah xx

08/10/2016 / 5:43 pm

It can be so tough honestly, especially with so many people accessing social media but honestly just do what you can, we aren’t going anywhere angel and we love you loads! <3

18. 06/12/2016 / 3:15 pm

Great post! God automatic DM’s are annoying!! I just unfollow people that send them – unless I really feel compelled to stay! Shame but true.

EllesBellesGradBlog | Ellie x

19. 06/12/2016 / 10:08 pm

I agree automated DM are always annoying. I tend to unfollow a person once I’ve received an auto DM tbh