8 Tips On Taking Care Of Yourself

coffee-1128136_1920

2016 is definitely a year where I am looking after myself a lot more, I’m focusing on more positivity and I’m living my life to the absolute max. I think it has become thing that it is so important to me, and I’m hoping that by taking better care of myself my mental health will improve. I have noticed such a difference since I started looking after myself more and focusing on the positivity in my life!

There can sometimes be so much going on, with things like studying for exams, stressful jobs and juggling so much going on in our private lives, looking after ourselves can sometimes be put on the back burner. So what are some of my top tips for you?

Saying No Is Okay

I know it is easier said than done, however if you can’t do something and you honestly do not have the time and you can’t give it the attention it deserves, say no. Be polite, be honest, explain why and move forward, remember that you have to put yourself first and if you’re doing something you have to be prepared for all that time it could consume and everything that goes with it. Say no if you can’t do it, it’s okay, remember you deserve some time for you too!

Drink Your Tea

As you all probably know I am the biggest tea drinker in the world, I’m pretty sure I should have an intravenous drip of tea all day every day. I know that when it comes to me drinking coffee, it doesn’t keep me going for as long as it probably should do, I usually get the yummy buzz and then it’s like the caffeine come down. With tea however it can be incredibly comforting, and keep you warm and it won’t give you the shakes when it comes to the caffeine come down.  Needing to wake up? Your best option is to drink water.

Plan Your To Do Lists

I have found that this is so important and so simple to do and it honestly helps to relieve any stress that you might have for the next day! One thing I do is in the evening when I’m starting to wind down with the husband, I write down in my diary all of the things that I need to do, I include a detail plan of what needs to be done instantly, or what can wait a day and whether it is blog related or otherwise.

Ask For Help

This is one I am guilty of not doing, all the time. I hate asking for help, I think it is because I feel like I am admitting defeat and I should be strong enough to get through it without help. I am wrong at some point in your life you might need help and the people around you are more likely to enjoy the fact that you’ve asked and support you. Remember that the people around you love you and will want to help with anything that they can, it could be anything from like motivation or even to build your self confidence to help you to believe in yourself.

Make Time For You & Resting

I can’t describe how important it is to make sure that you have time to rest, it can be little things like coming in through the door, taking a few deep breaths and just relaxing in the quiet. This is your time to make sure that all of the days troubles are pushes away and focusing on relaxing your mind. It is honestly incredibly relaxing and it will definitely be worth it.

Exercise

Honestly I have found that exercise can be incredibly helpful with looking after myself, it allows you to get out all of the feelings that you might have been feeling throughout the day, time to clear your head and de-stress. Anyway, getting those endorphins going will do wonders for the way that you look at things, I know that I look at things with a very different perspective once I’ve worked out.

Take Time Off

Everyone needs some time out once in a while, so take some time off, relax in your home, don’t try to cram everything in, try to get everything you need to done the day before you leave, and when you do, relax and feel fabulous that you did as much as you physically could. Treat yourself, give yourself the biggest pat on the back and chill out!

Write A Gratitude List

I’ve talked a lot about these before and how I find them to be so useful in my daily life. When you’re not necessarily in the best place possible and you’re struggling focusing on the positives can really help, so I write my list about things I’m grateful for, and when I feel like I need to be reminded I bring it out and read it! It gives me so many fabulous feelings!

What helps you to look after yourself better in 2016? Leave your response in the comments!

1. 01/02/2016 / 11:52 am

I need to get better with to do lists! Tania xx taniamichele.blogspot.co.uk

01/02/2016 / 3:57 pm

I was the same, however once I started working on the to do lists and being able to focus on certain things really helps me personally. But I would say, take it one step at a time, start off with just a small list, or certain things you want to get done in the week, that way you have something to build on! If there is anything I can do to help please do let me know💜

2. 01/02/2016 / 3:48 pm

These are such great tips, I always find writing out what I need to do really helps me to keep track and feel less overwhelmed!

Albertine

01/02/2016 / 3:58 pm

I totally agree lovely, it really helps me to know where I am going and to understand things more clearly. Even if it is just a little list of things, it helps me to understand what needs to be done and how I can organise my time best!💜

03/02/2016 / 11:24 am

That is so important. I am terrible with creativity I’m not very creative, but I love being able to see what people can create!💜

3. 01/02/2016 / 8:13 pm

These are all really helpful, and a couple are ones that I have done and found to be a really great help! Like saying no, asking for help and resting were my biggest ones, also I actually took myself off caffeine (I was so bad for it) and now only have it every so often, as I’ve been drinking a lot more. It definitely makes a difference and does wake you up! Although… exercise… I need to start doing that. I walk a lot but… Yeah…

03/02/2016 / 11:38 am

Caffeine can be one of the most difficult things to give up! Walking is a fabulous source of exercise darling, one step at a time! Sounds like you’ve made fantastic steps towards taking care of yourself!💜

4. 01/02/2016 / 9:57 pm

Some really great ideas here. I know I’m all too guilty of not asking for help, and not saying no! Definitely need to start saying no and asking for help when I need it. Thanks for these tips. 🙂 xo

03/02/2016 / 11:40 am

Thank you so much Aimee! Take it one step at a time my darling, don’t pressure yourself, it’s a wonderful journey!💜

03/02/2016 / 6:38 pm

Thank you so much my darling!💜

5. 04/02/2016 / 12:25 pm

Saying no is the hardest part for me. For some people it seems to be so easy. In the end, if I’m not learning to say no more often, I will only harm myself, though, I know that.

04/02/2016 / 3:13 pm

I’m the same Sassy, honestly, however, you have to do what is best for yourself, One step at a time my love. It will be okay darling I promise you! 💜

6. 05/02/2016 / 4:53 pm

I believe these are some great tips for self-care. It is something I too am planning to adopt for this new year. Thanks for sharing.

05/02/2016 / 8:50 pm

Thank you so much my darling! Hope you have a wonderful day! 💜

7. 05/02/2016 / 10:16 pm

Great post, all the things you mentioned are really important! I’ve also started to workout every morning and it’s helping me a lot, I like starting the day feeling good about myself, if that makes sense. After that I usually have a cup of tea, I’ve recently discovered white tea and it tastes amazing! Other things I’ll try to do this year are being more creative with my blog, being more spontaneous and not doing any work on Saturdays so that I can have a full day off. :)x

113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

07/02/2016 / 11:03 am

Thank you so much Mira, it means a lot! Being creative is one of the most amazing things ever, especially when it comes to your blog, you feel like you’ve got something amazing to share with people and you really have! Oooh I don’t think I’ve ever had white tea, I’m used to green tea personally and I now can’t live without it! 💜

8. 06/02/2016 / 10:06 pm

Literally every single point I agree with here! Having me-time is so important and is something I’m really trying to do this year. With blog events and opportunities, I’m all for saying YES YES YES! However for social plans I’ve found myself saying quite the opposite. I’ve got one group of friends that still love going out and partying, and they can’t seem to see that I’m the biggest granny in the world. Having to say no to them is annoying, but when I said yes last weekend, I ended up regretting it so I’ve learnt to stick to my guns!

Kirstie | Behind The Scent

07/02/2016 / 11:06 am

I totally agree with you Kirstie! I’ve been the exact same, when it comes to going out, I’m like I’d rather be writing or having a cuppa! But I have found that I like going out doing different things, for example I’m going bowling in a couple of weeks, so that will be good fun!💜

9. 03/04/2016 / 9:13 pm

I love this. I am certainly trying to look after myself more an I love making time for me, either reading or colouring!

04/04/2016 / 5:47 pm

Looking after yourself is so important, and colouring is one of the best stress relieves ever! I adore it so much💜

10. 06/04/2016 / 4:05 pm

This is a really sensible and practical list; I almost ~always~ find my mood slipping when I’ve stacked up a completely unrealistic list of commitments/things to do. Thank you for sharing!

07/04/2016 / 3:28 pm

You’re welcome Jenny! I hope it helps you! If you give these a go please do let me know how you get on!💜

11. 09/04/2016 / 12:14 am

I’ve been thinking about gratitude lists, sometimes it can be so easy to focus on what you don’t have that you forget to be grateful for what you have. I do a lil mantra in my head every morning and night.

Such an inspiring post x

Rachael | http://www.simplyrayy.blogspot.com

09/04/2016 / 1:16 pm

Thank you so much Rachael, I honestly find it so helpful it’s like a little reminder of everything I’m grateful for and everything I’ve got to appreciate in life!💜

12. 23/07/2016 / 4:54 pm

Such a lovely post Amy 🙂 I definitely need to get one of those gratitude lists done and get back to planning my to do list!

25/07/2016 / 10:05 am

It is so important my lovely and gratitude lists are really helpful!💜