Things I Miss About Childhood

teddy-bear-933159_1920

As children we all want to grow up so quickly, but when we get to being adults it’s like, why the hell did I want to grow up so quickly? I mean honestly? We want to go back to being children again!

As children I know for me I couldn’t wait to go to secondary school just so I could wear a tie (that was a ridiculously exciting moment for me) or to wear make up, or wear heals. As I got into my teens I literally could wait to be 18 so I could go out and drink with my friends! It’s the little things growing up that you want to do, then when you realise what it means to grow up and be an adult we really don’t like it!

So what are some of the things that I miss the most about being a child? There is literally so much, so be prepared!

1. Getting Proper Post

What I mean by that is do you remember when you would get post and it would be ridiculously exciting? You’d see your name come through the letter box and it’s like yessss I have post all for me & it’s not junk mail. You literally cannot wait to get into the letter!

2. No Bills

Bills are literally the worst thing in the world, and when you get post, the last thing you really want is bills! When you’re younger, you have priorities, however you don’t necessarily have bills that would come out every month or every other month.

3. Nap Time

Naps are everything and I definitely love a good nap at the weekend, and unless I’m really ill, I don’t have a chance to take advantage of those wonderful moments where you can just sleep for a while and forget all your troubles. I definitely miss the fact that after a morning of using my pens to decorate my Nan’s house with, having a lay down and cuddles with my Nan are definitely nap times I miss.

4. Polly Pocket

I was obsessed with Polly Pocket, I was never a Barbie person but when it came to Polly Pocket I wanted all of the bits that came with it. I remember one my dad bought me the animal hospital, and I was literally over the moon, I don’t think I have ever been more quiet! Gosh I miss Polly Pocket, but I think I’m a bit old now.

5. Less To Worry About

I know my biggest worry was whether or not I had remembered to feed my tamagotchi or whether I would be up in time to watch all my favourite cartoons in the morning, one of my favourites was Scooby Doo or Tom and Jerry! Now we have more to worry about like family, friends, life, work, play, normal adult things!

6. Trying Not To Upset All Your Cuddly Toys

Remember going to bed, trying to make sure you had all your cuddly toys around you just so you didn’t upset any of your favourite ones by leaving them behind? Yes that was me, I was so scared of upsetting one of my cuddly toys, I literally had them everywhere just to make sure I didn’t hurt anyone’s feelings. Now I still have lots of cuddly toys, but I have the best thing to cuddle up next to at night aka my husband.

7. Getting Excited Because You’re Staying Up Past Your Bedtime

I used to get so excited when I stayed up past my bed time, even if it was just half an hour, I got so excited about staying up, I genuinely could never hide it. I was also that child that wanted to try and drag it out for as long as possible to see how late I could stay up and I still wouldn’t be worried about waking up in the morning, now I’m older there are some nights I’m in by 8pm with my laptop and I genuinely cannot wait to get to sleep

8. Problems Were Small

The only problems I ever had were where I wasn’t sure on what colour pencils to use in my drawings or how I was going to stick something into my art book. Now the problems are worrying about normal things like life in general.

What are some of the things that you miss about your childhood?

1. 25/01/2016 / 6:36 am

I was so obsessed with Polly Pocket too! I had one that changed colour when it got wet and I use to play it everyday. I miss when problems were small too, I would just cry and then move on. I also miss how easy it was to make friends, such happy times!

Sally ~ DiagonSally

25/01/2016 / 12:11 pm

Oh my gosh yes! I had that one too. I completely agree, I find that everything was much simpler when we were younger, if only we could go back!💜

2. 25/01/2016 / 7:29 am

Lovely post and I definitely miss all of them xx
    rosieloveslife.blogspot.com

25/01/2016 / 12:12 pm

Thank you so much Sharon! It means a lot. I completely agree with missing them so much!💜

3. 25/01/2016 / 9:04 am

I’m all about points 2,3 and 6 !! How I miss my childhood with second to none responsibilities, no bills to pay and your parents being there for you at all times 🙂 It’s great to be an adult, but what a tiring job it is at times 🙂 I am a strong believer we should be able to claim all the missed nap times, we foolishly passed on as kids. Wouldn’t that be lush? 😉

Love, D x

25/01/2016 / 12:13 pm

YES DOROTA! All those naps we missed would certainly add up. I think personally we should start a petition to allow us to catch up on all those naps!💜

4. 25/01/2016 / 2:19 pm

I relate to all of these so much! I loved Polly Pocket, too!! But I was also a big fan of lego, barbie, baby born and playmobil. All of that stuff is still laying in our attic and Mom has made a plan to clean it all up during my semester break. Although I´m a bit too old now, I already said I won´t get rid of my favourite Barbie or Polly Pocket. It´s just the memories!
    Oh, I used to be so afraid to upset my cuddly toys and I owned a lot. Also I am almost 20 years old and I am proud to say that my oldest cuddly toy still sleeps in bed with me. The rest has been banned to the drawer under my bed but my teddy will stay in my bed. I think it´s just the memories that I connect with him and that feeling of being safe and home (especially now that I´ve moved out). My mom also got me this super fluffy penguin for Christmas (best present ever because I didn´t expect that at all!) and he´s sitting on my desk because he´s just too cute for the drawer. Maybe I should get myself a husband or just a normal pet to replace my cuddly toys.. haha.
    xx Lisa | Following Lisa

25/01/2016 / 5:14 pm

Oh my gosh Lisa you’re a girl after my own heart! You’re never too old for cuddly toys, I have mine on our futon in our room, I have loaaaaads it’s madness in my room! I completely agree with the memories, you get so attached and you see all of the things that you used to play with or things that gave you hours of wonderful fun! 💜

5. 25/01/2016 / 2:41 pm

I still love getting post as the novelty of an email has completely worn off now! Even if it is junk mail about a local election… Tania xx taniamichele.blogspot.co.uk

25/01/2016 / 5:15 pm

I completely agree, I’m always clearing out my emails, actually receiving one feels like one of those oh another one, yaaaay 🙁 💜

6. 25/01/2016 / 7:03 pm

This is so true. I miss all those nap times and playing with my dolls and teddies! :’D Responsibility hurts.

Jadirah / Jasmine Catches Butterflies / jasminecatchesbutterflies.com

26/01/2016 / 2:20 pm

Responsibility can really suck sometimes, I’m hoping to cash in on all those naps at some point!💜

7. 25/01/2016 / 7:40 pm

I feel al of this – even if the cuddly toys one is still me aged 21 nearly 22 haha (totally not surrounded by cuddly toys just now) I can’t really pick at any of it in particular to talk about because again, literally all of it! Haha! (Also the bills reminded me to cancel Amazon Prime so thank you! Don’t wanna get charged for something I never use!)

26/01/2016 / 2:23 pm

I love my cuddly toys, I have my own real life cuddle buddy now in my husband which is perfect, but if he isn’t with me, I have so many minions I got one for my birthday with dungarees and a guitar and I am obsessed with him!💜

26/01/2016 / 2:24 pm

I miss it too darling, it all seems so easy now looking back! It’s a shame we can’t go back for a day!💜

8. 28/01/2016 / 8:34 pm

I loved this post! Especially the part about the nap time. Every time I do have a nap these days (which doesn’t happen very often I must say) I feel so refreshed but also so bad about myself because I just “wasted” two hours which I could have used for something more useful. How little did we know about how perfect and simple our lives were as a child!
    Patti
    Shifting Tales

29/01/2016 / 12:19 pm

Thank you so much Patti it means a lot! I am totally the same about naps, I feel like I could be doing something practical but in reality I just need to give myself a bit of a break because it’s okay to take time for myself! 💜

9. 29/01/2016 / 6:04 pm

Ah don’t you feel silly wishing to grow up when you were younger now that we are grown up?! Little did we know back then! There’s so much I miss about being a kid too, growing up is definitely not fun. Oh and bills. Gah. That’s all! Great post, now I kinda want to go watch Lizzie McGuire and have a long nap haha.

Hana | http://www.hanarosella.blogspxot.co.uk

31/01/2016 / 10:35 am

Totally Hana! I cannot believe that I wanted to grow up so quickly, I think it is because we thought it would be so much easier being all grown up when in reality it isn’t! Oh my gosh Lizzie McGuire was literally everything!💜

10. 02/02/2016 / 3:05 pm

Oh yes, Polly Pocket! My faves <3 Although I was also massively into Barbie and had Barbie plane/villa/camper van etc etc. Lol. Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry were two of my favourite cartoons too! Along with Rugrats, Recess. The list goes on. I remember Sat mornings climbing into my grandma's bed and snuggling up to watch cartoons on her little telly in the attic bedroom! I miss that. And I totally did the whole taking all your cuddly toys to bed thing because you didn't want to upset one! I would always get so worried I might upset one of them. Haha. Good times. I do miss being a child. But hey, being an adult does have it's perks. Maybe you could do a post about the perks of being an adult to compare with this? Just an idea 🙂 xo

03/02/2016 / 11:45 am

Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry were fantastic! Scooby Dooby Doo where are you? We’ve got some work to do now! Recess I loved, but the Rugrats used to scare me, I’m not too sure why but it did bloody terrify me a little! Ooooh that’s not a bad idea, I might look into that, thank you my darling!💜

11. 10/02/2016 / 1:51 pm

I loved my Polly Pocket!
    When I was a kid I couldn’t wait until I got to year six at primary school because they got to sit on benches at the back durinf assemblies! I miss being a kid!

10/02/2016 / 4:03 pm

Same! Polly Pocket was literally everything! Oh my gosh yes, you were the oldest year in school and you finally got to sit on benches without your feet going numb. I totally agree, I miss it so much!💜

12. 18/02/2016 / 5:48 pm

I miss those parts about childhood too, especially the ability to take naps 🙂

18/02/2016 / 5:52 pm

Naps were the best things ever right? Why did we take such wonderful things for granted!💜

31/03/2016 / 4:32 pm

Same sweetheart, I think I took for granted all of those times when I didn’t suffer with anxiety in this way! 90s tv shows were amazing, gosh I miss them so much!💜

13. 03/04/2016 / 6:06 pm

Oh my gosh I was totally the kid who didn’t want to hurt any stuffed animal’s feelings. I think what I miss the most though is the time before I learned to be self-conscious. It kicked in fairly young, but still. Those were good times!

04/04/2016 / 5:44 pm

I was the same don’t worry darling! I was the same sweetheart, but I think we could learn a lot from kids in terms of learning to be less self conscious and just to be ourselves!💜