Self confidence is something I have always struggled with, especially when it came to my size, I always felt like people were watching me, looking at me and that was definitely one of my biggest worries. Even at school I was still quite big, and I was still quite conscious of it, I’d still wear skirts if I had an ounce of confidence or I would just make sure I had a lot of water during the day. (Yes I was really unhealthy when I was at school, if I could send myself a message it would be don’t abuse your body, Amie.)
What Triggered My Increased Self Confidence.
I have to admit my self confidence was at it’s lowest before I started losing weight, not mentioning any names, someone very close to me said that I had put on a lot of weight. In all honesty, I had, however, I was going through depression, I couldn’t see a light at the end of the tunnel and I didn’t want to be here, so it was some of the worst timing imaginable.
The other thing was a lot of it had to do with my the tablets that I was on at the time, my eating habits were terrible, sometimes I couldn’t stomach more than a few ice lollies and others I would just eat practically everything in sight.
It’s pretty safe to say I wasn’t exactly where I should be mentally, physically and emotionally, and my self confidence was so low I couldn’t see the sky. My husband would compliment me, tell me I was beautiful and that he adored me but the worst thing was, I never believed him because in my head all I could see were imperfections.
During my weight loss I started to see changes in my body, I started to feel more confident, I was achieving something which gave me so much confidence it was ridiculous, I was giving myself a brand new start. The food I was easing was making me feel fabulous, I found healthy alternatives to a lot of things which in all fairness really helped me because I could eat well and feel great which improved my self confidence.
Want To Improve Your Self Confidence
In this last bit of my post I will be looking at tips which helped me to improve my self confidence and get me to where I am today!
1. Negativity Is A No Go – When you’re trying to build your self confidence, you need positive influences around you, this means you need to be ruthless with the people you are around. If this means cutting out people in your life, then you need to do this for you, why should your self confidence be effected?
2. Change The Way you Look At Yourself – This might sound difficult but you need to focus on the positives of yourself, instead of saying oh I don’t like these spots I have on my face (everyone does unfortunately) say, I love the way I smile or the outfit I’ve chosen is really cute. Remind yourself of the incredible person that you are, you deserve happiness and you deserve the best.
3. Don’t Listen To The Negative Voices In Your Head – The negative voices in your head do not know the incredible person you are inside and out. I mean honestly no one can measure the beautiful person you are in every way possible. Think of it this way if you’re thinking negatively all of the time, how do you expect things to get better? You need to change your outlook, you need to change the thought process that you go through in order for things to be better.
4. Never Give Up – If you really want something then you need to work hard for it, it’s not going to come to you. Giving up is not your answer, think of it this way, nothing worth having wasn’t worth working for, the best things come to those who wait and give it their all. Give yourself a new quote to live by, never give up because I know I can do this.
5. Make A List You Love About Yourself – We all have days when things are pretty rubbish and our confidence suffers, so when you’re in a good place write down a list of things you’re really liking about yourself, this will help you to see things when you’re having a difficult day.
6. Be Kind – When you’re kind it gives you that self confidence, that you can make others smile, that you have made an impact on their life and that they can see the incredible person that you are in just a few short minutes. That gives you that little boost you need on the worst days possible!
7. Set Small Goals For Yourself – This can be little things like today you’re going to smile more, or go out and take more photos of nature, or go on long walks, whatever makes you happy, that always helps me because yet again you’re achieving something and feeling fabulous for it!
What helps build your self confidence? Leave your responses in the comments!