It’s one of the times of year where everything stops for one day and we appreciate the family that we have around us, I know we don’t need just one day to realise this however it is a magical day to spend time with the people you love. Not only that take a moment for the people who don’t have the people they love around them, every year I donate something at the supermarket, usually money to people who are homeless, those less fortunate because I am so grateful to have an incredible husband, a wonderful family and such supportive and amazing in laws it is another reason I adore Christmas.
Christmas is a time for giving something back to your loved ones, there is nothing I love more than wrapping Christmas presents for the people I love, having Christmas songs blasting and having a little dance around the room (I don’t dance with scissors, I can do some silly things but I am not that bad) just because IT’S CHRISTMAS!
So what are my top favourite things about Christmas?
1. Advent Calendars – I love making my own advent calendars, this year Paul and I have our own giant trees of goodies with some of our favourite things in, my ones are vegan (obviously) and Paul’s is filled with chocolate and his favourite mints.
2. Christmas Movies – In the Cadwallader household, before Christmas Paul & I will watch “It’s A Wonderful Life” and “White Christmas” because they’re my absolute favourite films in the world, they’re in black and white, a bit cheesy but I love it. I always associate with my Nan, we would watch this in December together with a cup of tea and celebrations.
3. Christmas Decorations – I love buying Christmas decorations, it gets me in the mood for the festive season, but not only that I love sharing beautiful decorations with my loved ones. For years my mum would put a new decoration on the tree, and it is a tradition that Paul and I carry on each year. The year I lost my Nan (I’ve spoken about her here) my mum bought this photo frame for the tree, a little one, but it had the last photo ever to be taken of her on the tree, it is still and always will be my favourite decoration. We have one for my Grandad too, it serves as a little reminder of the people who are not here to celebrate with us this year.
4. Christmas Songs – Fairytale of New York is my absolute favourite in the entire world, I can recite every word of the song to you (trust me I won’t break into song) but it makes me feel like I’m ready for Christmas. When I was little though my Mum would sing Silent Night to me to help me to sleep, that is still a very loved song in my house.
5. Giving Gifts To Others – I know there is a lot more to Christmas than just giving gifts, however, I love wrapping presents as a surprise and sharing them with the people I love more than anything in the world. I love seeing others smile because I have taken the time to look at getting them something that you think they will love just to make them smile.
6. Spending Time With Family – This is something that incredibly important to me because family is so so important to me, and being able to spend time with family where they have a day off, you laugh together, play games together, eat together, everything!
7. Scents Of Christmas – I get so sick when it comes to cinnamon so that is one of the scents that I cannot deal with, however I love the scent of cranberry, bakewell tart, frosted berries, Christmas cookies, they are all scents that I adore at Christmas.
8. Christmas Baking – When I bake at Christmas I love making gingerbread men, vegan muffins (click here for a recipe) & vegan brownies (click here for a recipe) all things that I can share with loved ones and treat ourselves to over Christmas.
What’s your favourite things about Christmas? Comment below and let me know what you love.