Turn Back The Time
A few months ago, as you might know, I went to the Just V Show in London, and I found one of the most wonderful companies there, Of The Earth Superfoods literally had so much to offer and I fell in love, but you might also know that I reviewed some of their products here, here and here.
Thank you so much to the incredible Of The Earth Superfoods for my fabulous goodies. Reviews & recipes with the Yacon syrup will be coming soon on thecurvaceousvegan.com ? Link in bio ☝
This was the wonderful package I received from Of The Earth Superfoods! (the hemp seeds review will be coming soon along with a few more recipes)
If you’ve never heard of Yacon which I hadn’t until over a month ago, then here is your how to guide in getting around it and using this wonderful root!
What Is Yacon?
Yacon is a root that the South Americans have been growing for years, it is very nutritious, and sweet which allows it to be used for a variety of different things, for example, in my case I have used it as a sweetener.
When the Yacon syrup is being extracted it can taste a lot like maple syrup and can be used for a variety of different things, for example you can use it in a dressing to put over your salads, you can glaze your food in it like putting it over tofu for example, you can use it in smoothies, you can make other sauces from it, there are so many different possibilities when it comes to Yacon.
Did you know – YACON HAS A LOT OF FIBRE IN IT AND IS LOW IN CALORIES?
What I Made?
I made a very simple vanilla muffins (because there is nothing better on a Monday than vanilla muffins!) which are soft and fluffy!
- 3/4 cup Yacon from Of The Earth Superfoods (3/4 cup of yacon = 1 cup of sugar)
- 1½ cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup of milk (rice, almond, soya, coconut etc)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Start off by mixing all of the ingredients above into a mixer, and make sure that all of the ingredients are thoroughly mixed in (you don’t want any flour clumps in your muffins)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit | Gas Mark 6
- Put your muffin cases onto the muffin tray and make sure you’ve greased the cases.
- Slowly take a teaspoon of mixture at a time and put them into the muffin cases (do not over fill them, I go to just below ¾ of the way)
- Leave your muffins to cook for 25 – 30 mins depending on the density of your muffins, if you’re unsure if they’re cooked, get a knife and put it into the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean, they’re cooked.
- Leave to cool before eating!