Confidence is something that is incredibly important, but not only that it is something that at some point everyone struggles with, but it’s also important because it’s important to know that you’re good enough and your actions match what your beliefs. However, don’t ever compare confidence with arrogance, arrogance means that you believe that you’re better than everyone else and having low self confidence means that you believe you aren’t as good as other might believe you are.
There are a lot of things which can affect a persons self confidence for example: fear, poor body image, eating disorders, alcohol or drug abuse, jealousy, defensiveness, procrastination, anxiety, depression, anger, hate, past experiences, racism, agoraphobia. There are also other things that can affect a person’s self confidence, but addressing what could be affecting your self confidence is the first step to improving it.
So, how can we improve our self confidence?
- First you need to recognise your insecurities, so if it is the way you look or the things you are uncomfortable with then write it down. Once you have written them down, tear them up because you have recognised what makes you feel this way.
Talk about it with people you love and care about, this means that you are chipping away at it every day. Remember there is no quick fix to gaining confidence. You need to learn to accept yourself, your past and you current circumstances without feeling bad about them.
- Bounce back from your mistakes, remember that no one is perfect and even the most confident people have insecurities! Learn that life is full of bumps in the road and that often these insecurities may come and go depending on what we are doing, who we are with and at what point we are at in our life.
- Identify what is good about you, for example you might be really good at art, or sports. It can literally be anything! Take pride in these as these will make you feel really good about yourself and what you can do. Everyone is born with talents and strengths this means that you can develop these skills and excel in them! If you are finding it difficult to name a few things that you love to do or something that you are really good at then name the things that you want to do in the future, so this can mean you might want to try surfing or scuba diving. When you are following something that you enjoy and you are passionate about not only will it be therapeutic for you but it will also make you feel like you have accomplished something!
- Be thankful for what you have, sometimes people feel like they have a lack of confidence because they feel like they don’t have enough or something whether it is good luck in life or money. By acknowledging what you do have and learning to appreciate it will help you feel the feeling of not having enough or feeling incomplete. Having some inner peace will help your confidence.
- Be positive even if you don’t feel like you can be, so avoid things like self pity or sympathy Never allow others to make you feel inferior, they can only do so if you let them so if you make yourself feel little or hate yourself then others are going to do it. Instead start to think about yourself positively, about your future and how far you have come in your life.
- Look in the mirror and smile, apparently if you look in the mirror every day and smile you begin to feel happier with yourself and feel more confident in the long run.
- Helping others can really help you, because when you are kind to the people around you and are making a positive difference in other people’s lives you will feel like a positive force and it will boost your confidence.
Avoid things like being perfect because when you strive to be perfect in everything you are likely to put yourself down in the long run.