Katie Hopkins Dementia Comments

For anyone who has seen someone go through dementia or knows anyone who has witnessed it, they will know what a horrible and cruel disease it is and what it can cause, which is why it is important to raise awareness for it, however, the comments that Katie Hopkins mad were absolutely disgraceful.

Anyone how has ever watched This Morning on ITV, or watched her on Celebrity Big Brother will know what a motormouth Katie Hopkins can be. This is the woman who judges children on their names, and a lot to do with people choosing names of places  for their children, but this is the woman who named her child India.

This time she has really gone and outdone herself by making comments about dementia sufferers like:

Untitled

People who suffer from dementia can die from this, it’s not something to be even joking about, it’s a serious illness. In this world there are 850,000 people who live with dementia, and for someone to say it as if they were no longer living is disgusting. To watch someone you love, a person who you have memories with not be the person they were a few years ago, not remember the same things you do.

Symptoms of dementia can include things like:

• Memory loss
  • Thinking speed
  • Mental agility
  • Language
  • Understanding
  • Judgement

Now these people don’t have a choice whether or not they get this debilitating disease, they have done nothing wrong, and to be called “bed blockers” is vile. These people need support and care, anyone who makes that kind of comment is naive to think that it is as simple as that.

I know family who have been through this terrible disease and those kinds comments fuel the stigma that is related to dementia and what they believe could happen if they came forward. Dementia is serious and these comments could make it become another of those hidden illnesses much like depression, bipolar and other mental illnesses.

Untitled2

It is important to challenge the stereotypes, negative connotations that come with dementia and even the old fashion ideals of suffering dementia. One thing to remember though is that it doesn’t take away the person, the person that you love and adore is still there and just because they might have lost some of their memories, that person is still there.

It is ignorant for someone to make that kind of comment to make a joke or insult people who have to live with this day in, day out. The final blow in her twitter rant came when she tweeted:

Untitled3

What is important is that people who suffer with severe dementia, they need someone to care for them, they need those people around them who have supported living housing, respite care, day groups and ever home care. If it has got to the point where a person is in the hospital it means that they need support, support that maybe families can’t give because they’re not medical professionals. Let’s not forget though the difficulty that it can be for the families to watch someone they care about start to struggle with an illness and try to look past what has changed.

What makes it worse is she has done this before towards other illnesses such as depression. when this is something that you shouldn’t be joked about, it’s serious and I think Katie Hopkins needs to understand what families go through when someone is struggling with mental health illnesses or any other illnesses for that matter.

I would never normally give someone like Katie Hopkins the time of day, however, I do believe that it is really important to challenge the stigma  that is related to things like dementia, depression and other mental health issues. I think broadcasters and social networks need to realise that being paid for this is the worst, and if a non celebrity was to do that they would be kicked off social networks, but not only that they wouldn’t be treated like a celebrity.

TwitterInstagramTumblr – Pinterest – Blog Lovin’ – Facebook

1. 02/05/2015 / 1:25 am

Hi Amie,

I have just read your Post and on the disgusting comments that Katie Hopkins made about dementia. I could not agree more it’s a disgrace for her to think it let alone say it and through social media. That woman really needs to think before she speaks. Like you said in your post would a non celebrity get away with sating this I don’t think so, so why should it be any different for her to speak so disgracefully about dementia.

Andrea
    BeautywithAndrea36.wordpress.com

• facebook-profile-picture 02/05/2015 / 5:35 am

Thank you Andrea darling! I think her comments can have such an affect on people and it’s important that people do come forward if there are signs of dementia so they can start treatment. I am sure if it was her family she wouldn’t have said that ♡

• 02/05/2015 / 6:35 am

Your very welcome Amie, I didn’t actually know about this I knew there was a bit of an uproar about a comment that she had made but didn’t know what she said so when I saw your post I just found it a disgrace. That woman has no shame it’s like what she said to Katie Price about her son that she should pay for her sons transport to school and back as she can afford it that is besides the point she has paid tax like everyone else and harvey needs that transport so for her to make a comment like that was another example of her verbal diarhea :-). Your right of course if a family member of hers had dementia there is no way in the world she would be making these kinds of comments.

Andrea

• facebook-profile-picture 02/05/2015 / 5:45 pm

It really annoys me as someone close to me went through dementia, and it is such a horrible thing to see, as you’re watching someone who you have such fabulous memories with, just fade, it’s one of the most heart breaking things. I guess that is how she stays famous, saying some of the most horrid things, instead of someone standing up to her, if I was more than one person, I would probably say something to get her to realise the affect she is having on people. She needs to see what people go through with everything she has said, it is completely uncalled for, I don’t understand why she has to be like that to people, it isn’t fair. <3

• 02/05/2015 / 6:29 pm

It was the same for my mum her aunt went through dementia for Katie to say that just proves she is the lowest of the low. I can only imagine what it must be like seeing someone you care about go through that. I’m sorry that you had to go through that. Yes she stays famous by saying vile and controversial comments . Your right people do need to stand up to her that is the only way people like her learn.

• facebook-profile-picture 03/05/2015 / 7:11 pm

I know what you mean, I just wish that someone would stop her, imagine if a regular person would have said that, they would have been slated, yet she still has that outlet, she shouldn’t be employed if I’m totally honest! <3

• 05/05/2015 / 12:31 pm

Sorry I’m so late in replying to these messages hun. Hope your okay. I know that Katie hopkins has such a vile mouth she really does need to be stopped. If just anyone had posted something like that they would be given such a hard time and she just gets away with it so unfair….

• facebook-profile-picture 05/05/2015 / 4:17 pm

I think to be honest t hat is what fame can do, it shields some people from losing their jobs, but if a regular person had said that, then it would be a whole different story. <3

• 05/05/2015 / 5:26 pm

I know celebrities should not treated any different from the rest of us they need to realise they can’t just say anything but someone needs to stop them. X